Similar or better replacement for a TE45A?

Fast is really not an answer. To my mother in law, a walker is fast. Have you or the previous owner run it to see what it does? Do you have experience driving or riding in cars that run a certain time that you can compare yours? Making a tangible goal will help you and others you ask for help to make choices for a better combo.
If I had to choose for right now as my car sits, 12.00 second/350-400hp which from reading around is very do-able with a stock block @ around 3400 pounds (what I consider realistic is for a turbo V6 daily atlas...unless V8 LSx powered lol), also it can currently keeps up with newer (skinny tails) stock cameros and the 5.0 mustangs are a couple cars slower but I think we are kinda passed my question and we are now tossing around future ideas. Which I am liking because I never considered getting more out of a smaller turbo and keeping the converter, always looked at it the other way (bigger/looser/better)

If I was in your shoes, I'd just buy a new small turbo, like a 44/49 and sell the 45a. Having it rebuilt and then flipping it you'll lose a few more bucks, BTDT. Then keep everything as it is, short of wiring up the PL to the FP sensor. Other than that, I see an easy 10, 20, 30 grand going out the window if you want to have a "built" combo that works well on the street and strip.
No strip, just a car that lives up to its name on the street (to a certain point because I don't see it eating new vettes...lol), although I will be taking it to the strip to test because I don't think I am too far from low 12s and by built I meant a stock 109 with some forged and fancy internals more for longevity than performance, not talking about stage or indy engines and I can do most of the grunt work. I think a decent street combo can be done within 10k, I am not looking to be running Big chiefs crow-mod..lol

Update:
So I sold my other project and that freed up some money to shop around for stuff that I don't need but I want (lol), amongst those I swapped the stock shifter for a B&M ratchet, got some RJC pulleys (from another member on the board), Installed a Tial Q50 BOV and waiting to install a V60 Tial waste gate on a 2.25 crossover pipe I'll fab up with a screamer pipe, still debating on a boost controller (top of the list right now is eBoost2 due to the shape and features).

I also ended up going with a TE45a with a Q-trim .85 housing (had a TE45a with a Garret .63 P-trim couldn't pass it up at $500 fresh from another member that got it from bison and this turbo is great when I launch with the 2 step (which I just finally finished mounting on the pedal) but other wise is about 800-1000 rpm slower in spool, which helped with drivability but sucks when trying to do a roll, it did pick up a lot on the top end.
So I started asking around the diesel shops around here to have another compressor wheel installed on my old TE45a with the trim .63 housing, to have it rebuilt and the whole assembly with the new wheel balanced so far the average price is $380-420 plus the price of the wheel and no tax (the shops are in DE lol). I also just scored a TE44 cheap so I may have that rebuilt and try out a smaller turbo on Brian's recommendation.

I am also looking into swapping my seats with the pro car rallies but I first want to try and dye them to match the stocker so at a glance they look somewhat alike and if the result is satisfactory I'll pull the trigger on that.

Lastly I wanted to let you guys know how pleased I am with Autometer, I had sent a gauge to them for a repair (some the LEDs on the read out failed), I figured that at 3 years old the gauge was out of warranty so I filled out the repair form and sent it in, to my surprise, within the same week I received a brand new gauge in the mail from them. Just another reason to buy USA.

I'll keep posting back to let you guys know how it goes. Here are some pics:

Last edited:
Update:
So I sold my other project and that freed up some money to shop around for stuff that I don't need but I want (lol), amongst those I swapped the stock shifter for a B&M ratchet, got some RJC pulleys (from another member on the board), Installed a Tial Q50 BOV and waiting to install a V60 Tial waste gate on a 2.25 crossover pipe I'll fab up with a screamer pipe, still debating on a boost controller (top of the list right now is eBoost2 due to the shape and features).

I also ended up going with a TE45a with a Q-trim .85 housing (had a TE45a with a Garret .63 P-trim couldn't pass it up at $500 fresh from another member that got it from bison and this turbo is great when I launch with the 2 step (which I just finally finished mounting on the pedal) but other wise is about 800-1000 rpm slower in spool, which helped with drivability but sucks when trying to do a roll, it did pick up a lot on the top end.
So I started asking around the diesel shops around here to have another compressor wheel installed on my old TE45a with the trim .63 housing, to have it rebuilt and the whole assembly with the new wheel balanced so far the average price is $380-420 plus the price of the wheel and no tax (the shops are in DE lol). I also just scored a TE44 cheap so I may have that rebuilt and try out a smaller turbo on Brian's recommendation.

I am also looking into swapping my seats with the pro car rallies but I first want to try and dye them to match the stocker so at a glance they look somewhat alike and if the result is satisfactory I'll pull the trigger on that.

Lastly I wanted to let you guys know how pleased I am with Autometer, I had sent a gauge to them for a repair (some the LEDs on the read out failed), I figured that at 3 years old the gauge was out of warranty so I filled out the repair form and sent it in, to my surprise, within the same week I received a brand new gauge in the mail from them. Just another reason to buy USA.

I'll keep posting back to let you guys know how it goes. Here are some pics:

If you are looking for real street performance and not just looking for a 2step track combo that is lazy off the hit and roll you will need the right combo.many in this thread have given you sound advise.the truth of the matter is you will need to do heads and cam and converter for 66 turbo especially with the big q trim turbine,now the smaller 44 you just scored will spool fast and provide enough airflow for the stock motor when it's turned up.a 44 on a stock motor is tough to beat because you can get into boost and transition to wot in an eyeblink.

If you are looking for real street performance and not just looking for a 2step track combo that is lazy off the hit and roll you will need the right combo.many in this thread have given you sound advise.the truth of the matter is you will need to do heads and cam and converter for 66 turbo especially with the big q trim turbine,now the smaller 44 you just scored will spool fast and provide enough airflow for the stock motor when it's turned up.a 44 on a stock motor is tough to beat because you can get into boost and transition to wot in an eyeblink.

Definitely, thanks to these fellers is that I grabbed the 44, but I was also happy with the TE45a with the .63, I figured the .85 would sacrifice low end for top end but not this much, but definetly going to save the turbo for later use, I am already looking into finding some heads but the only thing slowing me down is the car being my daily...lol

Last edited:
Fast is really not an answer. To my mother in law, a walker is fast. Have you or the previous owner run it to see what it does? Do you have experience driving or riding in cars that run a certain time that you can compare yours? Making a tangible goal will help you and others you ask for help to make choices for a better combo.

To my mother in law a walker is fast. Best line I have ever read on this forum ( ever). I know it's off the subject but had to comment. Great line Pronto

To my mother in law a walker is fast. Best line I have ever read on this forum ( ever). I know it's off the subject but had to comment. Great line Pronto
I figured in a vehicle specific forum "fast" would fall under 12.5 seconds and under on the 1/4 but hey thats just me, now on hindsight I realized that someone could have been like "stage aluminum everything, billet the world and big tire...drop the mic" and that would have been a fair answer based on my vague question lol

Now to this thread. My stock un open engine other then timing chain and valve springs, made 436 flywheel HP 501tq with 80 lb injectors 93 and alky. 24 # of boost. TA49 tweaked by Bison. The cam is stock TQC is 2800-3000 LU by Husek. The car is wicked fast on the street,spools in a blink of the eye. Oh 6.1 wideband chip tuned at Richard Clarks. Now the other motor being built is a 250ci stroker w/ champion ported irons as well as intake, 212/212 comp cam TR6 RJC front mount TQ conventor to be determined. We will see how fast on the street. Oh Precision 6466 BB turbo

Now to this thread. My stock un open engine other then timing chain and valve springs, made 436 flywheel HP 501tq with 80 lb injectors 93 and alky. 24 # of boost. TA49 tweaked by Bison. The cam is stock TQC is 2800-3000 LU by Husek. The car is wicked fast on the street,spools in a blink of the eye. Oh 6.1 wideband chip tuned at Richard Clarks. Now the other motor being built is a 250ci stroker w/ champion ported irons as well as intake, 212/212 comp cam TR6 RJC front mount TQ conventor to be determined. We will see how fast on the street. Oh Precision 6466 BB turbo
What exhaust housing A/R do you have?

What I have found is going to big on the ex size for your combo like .85ar and larger turbine wheel is one of the fastest way to slow these cars down.

On the ta49 .63. The 6466 coming will be .85
I am trying to go back to the .63 lol

What I have found is going to big on the ex size for your combo like .85ar and larger turbine wheel is one of the fastest way to slow these cars down.
Very true but its nice to experiement with combinations, my old .63 TE45a might be getting a better wheel as well so we shall see.

On the ta49 .63. The 6466 coming will be .85

Very true but its nice to experiement with combinations, my old .63 TE45a might be getting a better wheel as well so we shall see.

If that turns out to be the case for my car, will be easy enough to put it back on Richards shelf and slap another one on.

If that turns out to be the case for my car, will be easy enough to put it back on Richards shelf and slap another one on.
On a stroker motor done right,good combo /converter dbb 6466 you should be good and swapping them is not a big deal just time and money;)

It's nice to play just that stock motor is holding that turbo back, moving to a larger ar requires more ex gas volume and higher than stock cam shift points.the .85 is really larger and needs a pretty worked combo to see any gains.

No strip, just a car that lives up to its name on the street (to a certain point because I don't see it eating new vettes...lol), although I will be taking it to the strip to test because I don't think I am too far from low 12s and by built I meant a stock 109 with some forged and fancy internals more for longevity than performance, not talking about stage or indy engines and I can do most of the grunt work. I think a decent street combo can be done within 10k, I am not looking to be running Big chiefs crow-mod..lol

I don't know, you might be surprised? This is my buddy's car, running stock turbo and intercooler with 42.5 injectors and alky.

He's owned this car since 86 and he's racing his dad here. Funny thing is that in 86 he raced his dad's then brand new '86 vette back then too. And he beat the 86 vette bad. Fast forward 31 years and his car just came back from the restorer and his dad has a brand new vette (that he's sure he can smoke J in this time). So a date is set and everybody shows up to see the outcome yet again. Enjoy!!

Same car, same day, same stock turbo and intercooler. All it has is new TT chip, upgraded pump, injectors, adjustable fpr, 3" SS duals with test pipe (and a dump), hr bars / suspension and alky added.

Same car, same day, same stock turbo and intercooler. All it has is new TT chip, upgraded pump, injectors, adjustable fpr, 3" SS duals with test pipe (and a dump), hr bars / suspension and alky added.

I can confirm this lol
I just finished going roller and ported heads...car is fast AF now. The TE45A spools just like a TE44 lol

Just for comparison I dynoed my car at RC's shop last year & this year during the TB.com nats . The only change was the turbo .
Last year , 706 hp / 684 ftlb , with TE45a .63 Precision ex.
This year , 767 hp / 776 ftlb , with Turbonetics 6465 bb .63 ex .