Smoke out the breathers......

Originally posted by Nashty

Am I being condescending? I'm trying not to be. It seems every damn post I get back is speaking down to me. No wonder people get so pissy on this board. Need I repeat that?

You need condescending lessons! You are too nice when you deal with the gurus! :)

When looking at the entire picture, it would seem there is a lot of validity in your comments.

The rush of air thru the inlet bell draws oil out of the valve cover along with the vapors. This is basic physics. Think of a venturi.

When this path is closed off, it has to affect the system as a whole whether it is a closed system or not.

Don't worry, Dave, Even you can be confused and it has nothing to do with living on the left coast! :)

Re: wow this is long

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.

dave-- i just did this and i think you have it backwards-
when i sucked( hack pitewy) on the atr valve, it allows less air to come up through to the t.body when the car is in vacuum-
so it would be less of a vacuum leak. right?

i pulled the check valve off my car( atr's newest one) and did exactly what you have described...
guess you didnt do as you instructed someone else to do..
im actually holding them both in my hands and came up with different results- dont take this as any type of flame- but either you wrote down the wrong results or you dont have the parts in your hands :)

OR, they have recently re-designed it. That's always possible I guess.

;)

A few months ago I installed one of those kirban check valves.
I just bought some new PCVs the other day and thought would take the PCV pepsi challenge:D after reading all this stuff about PCVs and check valves.

Here is my two cents after studying the system myself:

There is hardly any air at all that come through the PCV when you apply reverse flow from the TB or pressure. I see these posts about pressuring the crank case or blowing oil pass the rear main….. no way this could every happen. Try it yourself with your PCV, you will really be shocked at how little boost could get passed it. I think those check valve systems are a waste of money. If anything, I think the check valve systems would create blow by out the valve covers due to the restriction it places on the PCV system. The check valve I installed gave me a little blow by after installation. I think problem with the kirban valve is that it requires a pretty substantial amount of vacuum to open it initially after you let off the throttle and your engine returns to vacuum. Not to mention, the valve is very slow to open and close which will just create more blow by. I noticed a small amount of blow by out the valve covers after I close the throttle with the check valve installed, I think this blow by is occurring while the engine is building up enough vacuum to open the check valve initially. In addition to creating blow by, the check valve reduced the amount of airflow that could flow through the PCV hose system. I don’t think the engine gets enough PCV vacuum flow rate with the extra restriction a check valve adds. I haven’t seen an ATR check valve, but if it is anything like the kirban one then spend your money elsewhere.

yes there is a difference between the 2 check vavles-

thanks for sharing your pepsi test with us

although i cant blow 30 psi into the pcv valve- im not going to take my chances with any EXTRA pressure getting into the crankcase---
if i can minimize it any, i think its worth the 19 dollars for the atr check valve

I must be alll bass akwards because I set mine up to keep gases from entering the tb at vacuum conditions.When my pcv opens under vacuum my check valve closes to keep the oily gases from entering the tb,under boost the check valve will allow air from the tb to travel unrestricted to the pcv where it will do its thing.I used a second pcv that i found at napa to act as a check valve.It is opposite the flow of the when I have the whole setup connected together stock pcv to hose to second pcv to vacuum block,if I blow into stock pcv base The second pcv closes off ,not right away but when a forcible vacuum is applied it will close preventing air from getting to the tb from the crank case.I am just trying to keep the oil outta my tb because I think it is diluting my mix and taking my octane with it,If I am going in the wrong direction lemme know.

Originally posted by gnturbo
I must be alll bass akwards because I set mine up to keep gases from entering the tb at vacuum conditions.When my pcv opens under vacuum my check valve closes to keep the oily gases from entering the tb,under boost the check valve will allow air from the tb to travel unrestricted to the pcv where it will do its thing.I used a second pcv that i found at napa to act as a check valve.It is opposite the flow of the when I have the whole setup connected together stock pcv to hose to second pcv to vacuum block,if I blow into stock pcv base The second pcv closes off ,not right away but when a forcible vacuum is applied it will close preventing air from getting to the tb from the crank case.I am just trying to keep the oil outta my tb because I think it is diluting my mix and taking my octane with it,If I am going in the wrong direction lemme know.

So, in essence, you have NO crankcase ventallation. Hmmm :confused: You might as well have removed the entire PCV system.

well what does the check valve do?does it stop flow from the pcv during cruise /idle-vcuum mode keeping the oily gasses out of the tb or does it keep pressure leaving the tb during boost getting by the pcvback into the crankcase?hate to get simple here on you guys but I just have a stock car and do not want to pull the motor apart to fix this.I mean all the ses people say the check valve works,others have a science fair project to add to the car.can anybody give it to me in laymans terms ,i just wanna quite sucking oil.

by the way I drove the car all day yesterday with the second pcv and I have found no milkshake in the oil,or smoke from my breathers,as a matter of fact I pulled the hose from the pcv to the vacuum block and there was a faint moisture of oil but it was not wet like it usually is.Like I said the second pcv does not stop flow at idle or cruise unless it has a lot of vacuum and with the flow being opposite(check valve) of the pcv it opens when the pcv will want to close during boost from the tb

by way is the main concern of this post to keep oil from getting to tb or keeping pressure from boost getting by the pcv?

I know this is an old post but...

I don't see why the original calibration would need to take the pcv into account. Didn't that air come through the turbo inlet bell pipe, which already came through the maf? Why account for it twice? Or are we saying that "new" air is created in the crankcase (blowby).

Eric

I've got one of the Purolator PCV valves in my car right now. No problems so far. Anyone had problems with the Purolator PCV? Just to be sure I'll probably buy an AC part next time, but I was just wondering.

Here, watch this video, it was posted a week or so ago, and tell me that a PCV valve or checkvalve would stop this. Pay close attention to the driver side breather under WOT. You guys just arent getting it! The PCV isnt the problem here fella's, its BLOWBY, and all the PCV valves in the world WONT STOP IT. THAT is what a breather is for, 1) to create a positive path 2) to VENT the crankcase.

Ok, no, high dollar cars use a vacuum pump to keep the crankcase in a vacuum. This removes the "air spring" that the pistons are acting on on their downstroke.

http://www.caro.net/sully/temp/pull6.wmv