Something not right

tonylukejr

Somethings not right with my car. Can't really explain it. It just feels like it should be alot faster than it is with all the upgrades it has. Took it to Craig at Custom radicals in atco last week and he agrees somethings not right. He said the car feels like it's doing mid 13's when it should be doing mid to low 12's ( with all the upgrades )I'm taking it in to him this wendsday hope he can figure it out.:confused:

1987 GN
ENGINE was completely rebuilt Bottom half of ENGINE completely balanced
NEW PISTONS and RINGS
NEW CAM
NEW KNOCK and CRANK SENSORS
NEW BEARINGS
NEW FREEZE PLUGS and SEALS.
STOCK INTAKE
STOCK THROTLE BODY
STOCK HEADS
STOCK REAR AXLE 3.42 GEARS
STOCK INTERCOOLER
ADJUSTIBLE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR
High Performance CAM SHAFT
High Performance LIFTERS
High Performance PUSHRODS
High Performance VALVE SPRINGS,
High Performance DOUBLE ROLLER TIMING CHAIN SET
High Performance HIGH VOLUME OIL PUMP
High Performance TIMING COVER
40-PSI INJECTORS
TE44C- TURBO with adjustable WASTEGATE
WALBRO 340 INTANK FUEL PUMP
3 INCH DOWN PIPE
HIGH FLOW CAT CONVERTER
3-INCH EXHAUST SYSTEM FRONT TO BACK WITH OPEN CUT OUT
2 FLOW MASTER TWO CHAMBER MUFFLERS
TRANSMISSION done by ART CARR trans has all EXTREME DUTY PARTS and can handle 850 hp.
CONVERTER IS 9 INCH 3600 STALL.
The CHIP IS THE ULTRA CHIP.
HYPERTECH 160-DEGREE STAT.

What scan tool are you using?

What gauges?

Need some tuning info.

Boost levels, fuel pressure, chip settings/timing......

Real data such as what cam, lifters and valve springs etc. would be helpful too.

Actually the camshaft is usually the last thing changed on a TR buildup unless the original is bad which is kinda rare.

I don't have a scan tool... In the car I have a vac and boost gauge(30 to 30)...... I have an air fuel gauge....RPM gauge...oil presure gauge....warter temp gauge. wastegate is set at 17 lbs. and thats all I really know im hoping Craig ( the mechanic ) can tell me more. Everything I listed was done by the person I bought the car from that was the list of MODS he gave me.

Slug feelin??

I think you can start w/ the "hi flow cat".. A single cat, regardless if it's supposed to be "hi flo", will put a SIGNIFICANT amt of back pressure into the exh system.
This is due to the engine using double the naturally aspirated engine fuel and air volumes..[IE: @ 14.7 psi atmospheric, PLUS the 17 psi you are adding,] now adds up to the cat being asked to handle the airflow of an engine that's 2.1 times the CI of your engine. AKA: 231 x 2.1 = 498CI. NOT likely that that a single cat can flow that much air. The added backpressure slows turbo spool down and restricts the amt of fuel/air charge that can be put into the cyls.[ why the V-8 folks use dual cats!;) ]

Before you spend alot of time and money on "problem chasing", I'd drop the cat off and see if the car runs better.. WATCH the boost, because IF the cat is really a restriction, the boost may go much higher than setting.
DO NOT do this without a good scan tool onboard....;) ;)