Stage 2 GN build

Mike E

Mr. Badwrench
Since I switched cars I decided to start a new build thread. My old WH1 build was here. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/86-wh1-restomod.317036/

I pulled all the suspension and fabricated parts from the WH1 and sold the empty shell and frame. All those parts are now going on the new car I bought from Tom Robison. He previously raced the car in TSM and TSO and I intend to do the same but I haven't decided which one yet (the car is also TSL legal). I'll order my turbo last and that will decide which class for now.

The front of the car is now back to pretty much the same condition as my old car. The interior is 90% done, I just have to install electronics, shifter and some type of gauge setup (racepack). The rear suspension still needs a lot of attention, but I have all the parts to finish it. The motor is at the machine shop, but I'm still waiting for my crank to be done. Still need to have my transmission gone through and I have to buy electronics, but everything else is mostly here waiting to be installed.

The car as it sits today.
CIMG1259.jpg

CIMG1260.jpg

CIMG1261.jpg

CIMG1263.jpg

CIMG1264.jpg

CIMG1265.jpg

CIMG1258.jpg

Nice car Mike! Can't wait to see updates! Are those your wheels you had on the WH1? What BS and what rear is in that car? hope to see you in BG

Same wheels and rearend. 15x10 4.5"bs on a custom width 9" rear. I'll definitely be at BG saturday. If you make south from there give me a call and stop by.

No pictures of the complete motor yet, it's in pieces at the machine shop waiting on my billet crank to be finished.

I do have pictures of pieces and parts.
TA SE heads with 2.02/1.6 valves, T&D rockers and champion on center intake ported to match the heads.
CIMG0978.jpg

On Center Block (timing cover, water pump and distributor sold to fund new crank and belt drive)
CIMG0942.jpg

Danny Bee Belt Drive
CIMG1136.jpg

Crower Rods and Ross Pistons
CIMG1247.jpg

ATI Balancer and home built crank trigger
IMG_0384.jpg

Home made alternator bracket
CIMG1049.jpg

Oil pan and valve covers I built and then sold to fund the new crank. I'm currently working on some new ones that are more or less identical.
CIMG1076.jpg

Headers, waiting on finished motor so I can build the crossover
CIMG1201.jpg

It will be quite different than most stock style headed stage motors. Most everything on the front of the motor will be custom built. This week I ordered a CSR electric water pump for a sbc. I'll make custom ends for it to bolt up to the belt drive and sit in "stock" location. I also ordered one of the new peterson R4 single stage external oil pumps. I'm back and forth on the ignition, but at this point I'm still leaning towards a custom made belt driven distributor using the large diameter v6 cap seen above in the belt drive picture.

Some of the fabricated parts from my old build that made it onto the new car.

home built 9" rear with adjustable upper and lower control arm brackets, adjustable spring height adjusters. Home made control arms and adjustable shock mounts.
CIMG0928.jpg

I used first generation F-body/ A-body spindles to reduce weight and they require seperate steering arms.
CIMG0651.jpg

CIMG0650.jpg

Bump steer kit
CIMG1169.jpg

Looks like you are at "home" a lot :)
Lol, yes I spend a lot of time in the garage. I enjoy building the parts and it allows me to build a nicer car. I've built enough parts to build a complete car, but I've sold most of them. I've paid for 95% of this build with money I've earned doing side projects in my home shop over the last three years.

great work mike,

when using the fbody spindles, im assuming you have to use fbody ball joints as well?

If I remember this right, the lower ball joint can be either and F-body or G-body joint, they are both the same taper. The upper has to be an F-body joint. The F-body upper joint will bolt up to stock control arms or most of the tubular uppers. If you buy TRZ a-arms, they will build them with F-body upper and lower ball joints.

I got a little more work done. I installed my shifter and put the trans brake button where the ash tray goes.
CIMG1274.jpg

Built a catch can for the transmission.
CIMG1275.jpg

CIMG1276.jpg

And I got started on my valve covers.
CIMG1277.jpg

I have made and sold a set in the past, that's why I'm building another pair now. I've had requests to build more, but I don't know if what I build will clear the A/C box, I don't have a car with a/c to check them on.