starter question

87.GN

So what is the mini starter to use? Weight savings? Gear reduction for more starting torque? I have a set of ATR headers on my car and now it won't start when hot. Reminds me of an old V8 muscle car. I want the nice, easy starting injected 6 back. With the headers on.

What size battery cable?

Is the battery trunk mounted?

You obviously must be getting the starter and wires hotter than when you were running factory headers.

A heat shield may do worlds of good....

But if you have to go ministarter.... I think most get the LT1 or LT4 ministarter. I think most SBC starters will work if it is of the 153 tooth flywheel variety.

So what is the mini starter to use? Weight savings? Gear reduction for more starting torque? I have a set of ATR headers on my car and now it won't start when hot. Reminds me of an old V8 muscle car. I want the nice, easy starting injected 6 back. With the headers on.

I have the Kenne Bell headers which i believe are very close to the same design as the ATR headers. I put them on in 1998 and have never had a starter over heat from them and i don't have a heat shield on it either and i used to drive alot back then, only time i ever had a starting problem was with the junk diehard battery i tried a few years ago.

I use the stock type starter also.

Do you still have the stock original starter and cables on the car? maybe there is a problem with them if they are.

hitachi psl 100.

I just installed a mini starter on my 84, and it kicks a$$. I just had to modify it a little because my motor had some casting flash next to where the starter mounts.

i got my mini starter not only for weight but for looks and it cranks the motor over fasters. it also sounds sweet.