Starting the S-10 Blazer brake conversion

Chris McDade

brake1.JPG
I've already done the rear disc conversion. Now in starting the Blazer S-10 front brake conversion. I will try to post pictures of the progress. Im attaching the pictures from the donor truck/car. Couple are on the car and the next is on the work bench at the house. I disassebled them today and it looks like I will be able to reuse brake pads, rotors, and hub bearing setup. So, far so good. Total cost right now is $175.00.

brake3.JPG
brake.JPG

I did mine earlier this year.

The hardest part was removing and installing the lower ball joints. Get the ball joint loan a tool from autozone. It's a huge help. Make sure the clamp hasn't been steatched out and that the bolt aims directly at the oposite hole. They usually have more than one. check them all.

DO NOT USE the lower ball joints with the knurl. I went thru hell trying to get them on and they never went on.

Don't forget the brake line brackets from the truck.

I didn't need any special fittings for the lines. I just used a pipe bender and carefuly bent the GN lines to line up with the trucks bracket. There was some adjusting a figuring angles out but it worked perfect.

D

ps. nice jack stand

Looks good so far Chris and if it keeps looking this way I'll move it to the "how to" section.;)

Did mine a few years ago. The only down side was that I had to replace both sealed hubs, and they are not cheap. Appox 130 per side. However, I still think it is a noticeable difference over stock

These seals hubs seems to be in good shape. Down side is I don't know how mnay miles are on them. Yes, the are expensive I already looked into it just in case i needed to replace them.
Im rebuilding the whole front end of the car when I do this upgrade. Should be nice and tight when I get done with it.

Thanks

You can get the hubs for as little as $50 shipped if you do some searching. Evilbay is your friend here.;) What I'd suggest is to pack the hollow behind the hubs with wheel bearing grease as a precaution.

$15 to rebuild two calipers? I've never had any rebuilt but that is a good price!

D

Bought the rebuilt kits from Orielly's. They where like $6.50 each. Elbow grease and new paint and they are done.

$15 to rebuild two calipers? I've never had any rebuilt but that is a good price!

D

calipers are insanely easy to rebuild... actually, you are just replacing a couple of seals unless the piston is corroded and/or gouged.

Did you stick w stock balljoints? I am going to install ebiach springs, bilstiens, and this mod at the same time my balljoints are all new. I want to re-use until i eventually go w the sc&c uppers w taller ball joints