steering box rebuilder in IL

GNRick

Retired member
Would like to get the slop out of my steering. Rebuilt the front end and installed a Jeep steering shaft. Slop is still there. Can anybody recommend a rebuilder in IL or Indiana? Thanks!

Keep this thread updated if you get the slop out. I've tried 3 different boxes with no luck. Well..the original and 2 rebuilt Cardone's.

I think I replaced the box a few years ago, with no luck. Have to check my receipts. I found a place in Bedford Park, IL called Midwest Remanufacturing. They charge $250. I might give them a shot.

So any good luck? Im currently shopping for a steering box myself. I know cardone remakes the stocker. And then there the big $$ DSE and GNSperfprmance.

So any good luck? Im currently shopping for a steering box myself. I know cardone remakes the stocker. And then there the big $$ like DSE and GNSperfprmance.

Im thinking the steering box gbodyparts and kirban sales might be the same one..Cardone's

Im leaning towards the DSE and pair it up with there steering shaft kit. Especially since they seem to be in the autocross world, would think its a good set up. But its hard to justify there prices. I hope is one of those "you get what u pay for" scenarios.

Turns out the steering box GNSperformance, DSE and RideTech sale is al the same one. Made by TurnOne. TurnOne also offer rebuild services $250 for any type of gear box..according to there website.

OK here's an update. A fellow Buick nut, who I won't mention since I didn't get his permission, gave me a tip which seems to have worked out quite well. Get the front wheels off the ground on jack stands, loosen the nut around the allen screw, and tighten the allen screw until you feel it doesn't want to get tight anymore. You don't have to over do it. Then turn the steering wheel 3 times full left and full right. Now tighten the allen screw again. Do this a couple more times. On about the third time, you will feel some tension in the steering wheel at the straight ahead position. Back out the allen screw a smidgeon, tighten the set nut, let the car down off the jack stands, and you are done. Go for a ride and let us know how it worked! I think you will be very pleased with your "new" car!

I agree. It works on all the older GM vehicles. Done it multiple times myself

Long term update...I didn't like how the steering felt on the hwy. It seemed to be too sensitive and just didn't have the right feel. After backing out the screw several times, it is probably back to where it was originally.