Subs cutting out

89SandBagger

Having a problem with the subwoofers..I have been running 2 Kicker 10" L7 subs powered by a ZR600 amp and it was all working fine for about a month or so, and now when I turn my stereo on the subs work for roughly 15 seconds and then shutdown. Sometimes only one shuts off. Any ideas? Bad amp:confused:

Do you have the subs running stereo? What load are they running? The ZR amps will only handle a 1-ohm stereo and 2-ohm mono load.

You could be going into thermal protection, but only after 15s its doubtful. My Lanzar CPS amp would do that when I had a load too low for it to handle, its a safety feature so the amp doesn't kill itself.

I forget how I wired the woofers, i think in series. there were 4 terminals on the sub so i did neg to neg and pos to pos, droping the impedence from 4 to 2 I believe? each sub has its own channel.

I assume its a dual 4 ohm subs? The if you go parallel each terminal on each woofer droping the load to 2 ohms and running the amp in stereo mode than that's you problem why the amp is shutting off. Leave the woofers wired in parallel (2ohms) and then seriers the two woofers making it a 4 ohm load then bridge the amp.

Unless the amp can really handle a 2 ohm stereo and a 1 ohm mono. There is not much amps that are capable of doing this. The best and safest way is get a multimeter and measure the impedance of the woffers before you smoke the amp.