super charger oil alternative

from what i was told from many and i use(i could be wrong there could be more) but to use the GM supercharger oil from dealership i change mine every 3rd oil change but it is recomended every 30,000

so far i have use AEROSHELL 500 turbine oil and AMSOIL syn gear lube. all contain amount of ester aditive. i found the oil remain clear alot longer with compaire to GM supercharger oil:rolleyes: .

so far i have use AEROSHELL 500 turbine oil and AMSOIL syn gear lube. all contain amount of ester aditive. i found the oil remain clear alot longer with compaire to GM supercharger oil:rolleyes: .

again see i didnt know u could use other oil for that whats the price diff if u dont mind!! also in you pic i see you are rocking some cobra wheels in 94!!! very cool!

Shell Aviation - Turbine Engine Oils

for more information.

I alway use aerospace fluid and grease on all my toys.the cost of aerospace item is still cheaper than CO-CALL hi-performance automotive product:( . The aerospace industry is the best, but you must make sure the product has the key component. in the case of the GM s/c oil, Gm and eaton highly recommend a fluid with level of Blend of synthetic esters and additives which can me found in large quanty in the AEROSHELL 500 OIL. it also meets the gm and eaton operation temp. really good stuff guys trust me, i have used it in all my 7 yrs of supercharger rebuilding and R&D.

Thank you for the compliment. I do like the 94 cobra 17x8.5 cobra rims (aluminum). very light and it about .004mm off from the buick FWD bolt pattern. Plus i can easily fit a 96 impalla ss tire (BFG KWD g-force)255 45 17 on them. you can view my current project my Buick lesabre t-type TURBO 3.8 SFI INTERCOOL project here:The Lesabre T-type Forums :: View topic - TURBO/INTERCOOL.......BLT...with PIC/VID

i'd stick with the gm oil as it's recommended and readily available. according to gm all you have to do is mantain the oil level, topping it off ocassionally...

there's no need to constantly change the oil

SuperMix

Sorry for exhuming an old thread. I been researching a suitable substitute for the GM supercharger oil. I noticed some folks have been using the BP Turbine Oil 2380 with good results. However I understand the 2380 is thinner than the GM oil. I was considering mixing a little of the Amsoil syn gear oil with the 2380 to thicken it up a bit. Any thoughts on this? Any suggestions on the proportions?

what are you hoping to gain by using a different lube ? its not like its that expensive or you have to do it often enough that it adds up.

During my research someone posted an interesting observation, They commented about bits of the coupler contaminating the sc oil. If you have ever changed the sc oil after 50,000 miles, you will have noticed the old oil is discolored and it stinks big time. I believe this is evidence of contamination and possible chemical breakdown. Also remember you don't have a filter to remove contamination like you do with your engine oil. I believe you are better off in the long run changing your sc oil every 30,000 miles as a maximum interval. As far as oil goes in general, over the years they have improved the quality. In 1997 when this model/ series of regal came out a common rating on motor oil was probably SE or SF, now it is SM. How long has GM sc oil been on the market? Has the formulation changed? I think with the right mix of turbine oil and amsoil gear oil, you could have something superior to the original formulation of GM sc oil, at least for a high mileage car.

Cool you brought up this old thread.

My mom and dad have a 92 bonneville ssei with the stock blower on it.

I change the blower oil for them on it about once every 5,000 miles. It gets about 5K a year.

Yes, if you followed factory oil change intervals, its going to smell like farts, natural gas, or someone ate too much cauliflower that day.

I work on heavy equipment, they call for synthetic mobil 424, but we change the fluids with typical gear oil or hyd fluid depending on temperatures. No issues so far with our 20million dollar fleet.

If it was my car, i would just change the oil more frequently and not wait for the recommended blower oil interval. Remember, dirty oil is doing its job :)

BW

PS, we put 6600 miles on the car from kansas down to new mexico, across arizona to vegas, all the way over to PCH #1 on the coast of california, all the way up the #1 to oregon across to yeller stone and down thru the midwest.

6600 miles in like 11-12 days... Lots of high peeks, 12,500 is the highest i think we saw.

Take care
BW

use the GM oil...no need to change it so often either

save yourself time and money...you don't need to worry about this stuff

BP 2380 Turbo Oil may be useful

I've been using BP Aircraft Turbo Oil 2380 in my '99 Riv Supercharger for a number of months. I agree that the Supercharger oil doesn't need to be changed very often, but in my case, I have a coupling going away and I want to keep the oil as clean as possible until I can pull the snout and replace the coupling. Thus, I change it about every 1000 miles. The 2380 runs $10 a quart at my local airport, that compares to $44 for four 8 oz bottles from the dealer.
I don't state this as a recommendation for your use, but it's performed well so far for me.
When I change the coupling, I'll report any findings here about the condition of the snout interior and gear set as it applies to using this oil.