Suspension and steering rebuild for beginners!!!

The parts Matt used are the exact ones I have in the list of parts. I've been gathering the parts as $ allows and once I get all my ducks in a row and some free time I'll be doing my own build thread and list the parts at the end. My job's been keeping me super busy and as an example, I started work yesterday at 4PM and got home about 30 minutes ago.:eek:

The parts Matt used are the exact ones I have in the list of parts. I've been gathering the parts as $ allows and once I get all my ducks in a row and some free time I'll be doing my own build thread and list the parts at the end. My job's been keeping me super busy and as an example, I started work yesterday at 4PM and got home about 30 minutes ago.:eek:

Nice, I'm looking forward to that thread. I think I'm going to start collecting the parts too so when summer comes around I don't have to drop all the cash at once.

Hey Matt, the spring in the pick that has the white paint mark on it is in upside down. I Just replaced some today and there's a note on the box that says white paint indicates top of the spring. Just wanted to point that out,not sure what it will hurt if anything.
Thanks! I'll pull it in and check that out. I remember going back and forth trying to figure out what was up and down..I THINK that I finally got it in right...but now that I know what the heck I'm doing I can pull it pretty quick and check. Worth the effort.

As far as the upper BJ: it is indeed longer then stock as recommended by Charlie. Lowering the stance and geometry. I won't pretend I know all about it though. As far as part number I would need to dig through receipts and emails at this point!!

[quote="WH1_T-Type, post: 3099470, member: 30965] Then a local guy in Norfolk rebuilt my transmission for me :)
Thanks for the plug, but I must add I am not in Norfolk...hell no....but out in the sticks away fom the masses yet still not off the radar. ;)[/quote]

Close enough!! LOL! It was a tad bit of a drive, but more then worth it.

I know Charlie said that he wants to keep the parts listing on the DL, But i am about to redo my steering, and was wondering either what these parts were in this write up, or if the Gbodyparts rebuild kit is worth the $280?

As far as steering only goes, I just shopped around for the MOOG individual components. HOWEVER that was ONLY because I was pinching every single penny I could at the time. The only parts I used that aren't moog are the adjustable outter tie-rod ends. Speedway motors for the 78-88 GM product. If I had the money (and the difference isn't much) I would have just gotten the whole kit from Brian for two reasons

1) WAAAYYYY easier then looking for the cheapest price incl: shipping

2) vendor support.

You are welcome. I'm glad it helped. Anything you did different that maybe made things better? Or worse?
I avoided using the spring compressor to remove the springs. I just used the jack method you linked and it worked out fine. I see no way to avoid using the compressor to get the springs back in though. I learned 3 things:

1. Use an impact wrench for the spring compressor
2. Make sure the compressor stays straight in the spring
3. Do NOT set the hooks too high OR the plate too low on the spring or it WILL GET STUCK

I went ahead and changed out my sway bar bushings and end links while I was at it. Attempted to torque the mounting bolts to 24'lbs and three out of four kept spinning. I drilled them all out with a 17/32 bit and put in 10mm rivet nuts. The Moog Problem Solver end link bolts are shorter than the stockers and are hard to get started. I only damaged one upper A-arm bolt(worn splines) and replaced it with a new one. It pressed right into the frame with no further issues. Other than that, some of my nut/bolt sizes were a little different for some reason. Got it aligned about 2 or 3 weeks ago and it rides and drives great.

As far as the upper BJ: it is indeed longer then stock as recommended by Charlie. Lowering the stance and geometry. As far as part number I would need to dig through receipts and emails at this point!!

Don't worry about the PN's ...lots of BJ talk in other threads. Got my stuff this week. Remember only the lower BJ will affect ride height. The upper is above the spindle so it only raises the control arm.

OK, got a little time to get things done. Still need some clarification and confirmation on the GBody Front Upper Control Arm (UCA) since I only have time to do this once, and want to do it right the first time. LOL :LOL:

1-Upper Ball Joint (UBJ) install: Install on top of the upper control arm?
2-Dust Booth for UBJ: Remove and install from the bottom after bolting it UBJ? (Looks like it may fall off that way, but I could be wrong.)
3-Mounting UCA: The side of the mounting bar that is milled flat the full length, towards frame?
4-UCA Orientation: Short bend side facing the front of the car?

Thanks Fellas.

Thanks Charlie. Hope you are feeling better.

So, just squeeze/pinch the booth between the UBJ and UCA?

Charlie, any updates on the parts list?

Thanks Matt and Charlie for the info. I'm halfway done with my rebuild and can't wait to drive it once the weather warms up. (Working in a 40* garage sucks, oh well.) If either of you is in the DC area, I owe you a beer.

Since you're stuck in perpetual snow right now I'll offer you a chance at some fun. The Texas Buick Nationals are on May 9th and it should be nice and warm. No snow and green fields along with me bringing some brisket, ribs, and hot links to enjoy during the races.;)

Finished the rebuild and getting it aligned right now.

The threads on one inner tie rod castle nut failed on my way to the shop - that cotter pin saved me. I'm hoping i just got a bad nut.

Can't wait to drive it!