sway bar?

jerrad

ok ive heard on here where taking your front sway bar off will lower you time, is this true or just a myth? if it is true is it just because of the weight difference? and also is it safe to drive the car without the front sway bar? thanks jerrad

It is true that front sway bar removal will improve track performance and ET. Yes the actually weight loss is one reason, but more importantly, by removing, you are no increaseing the amount of front suspension travel, wich helps transfer the weight to the rear of the car when launching. This improvement in 60' times helps make the transfer of hp to track performance more efficient. But yes, there would be noticable handling differences especially when turning on the street. Not that these cars can take hard turns well anyway, but body roll will be more noticable than with it installed-

You can hardly feel the difference if driving normal (and I mean like granny in a Buick). I run 90/10's up front too. If I punch it in a sharp turn, it will go straight.

I removed my bar for the first time on my last trip to the track. I noticed no real improvement in my 60' times. I always run in the mid to low 1.6's with Hoosier QTPs 27x10.5 (really a 9" tire). I did notice that all of the smaller tired cars like mine were having a harder time hooking that day. When thr track opens next year I'll try again without the bar. I do think the weight removal helped off-set the weight of the roll bar that I had installed prior to that track trip. I also re-iinstalled the bar after I got back from the track.