Ta downpipe PUCK froze up

the TA dose have the about a1/16 end play

I truly believe the big problem is actuator on my 5857

the washer will help with that slight misalignment

I believe TA has done good R&D on there fix

I have some RJC parts and I trust there product

Internal is a Beancounter's solution ... External is a Engineer's solution ... there should be no question as to which Is a better solution

Do some research on Borg Warner turbos as they have brought turbo technology into the 21st. Century with an internal waste gate that can be electronically controlled.

The engineers did this, not the bean counters!

If the 200 MPH Indy Indy cars can run the B-W turbos for 2 years without any maintenance or repairs, they must have done something right, simplicity at its best!

My next project will feature a B-W turbo in a 9-10 sec. street car, the engine is sitting here and other parts including the turbo are on the way. :)

Do some research on Borg Warner turbos as they have brought turbo technology into the 21st. Century with an internal waste gate that can be electronically controlled.

The engineers did this, not the bean counters!

If the 200 MPH Indy Indy cars can run the B-W turbos for 2 years without any maintenance or repairs, they must have done something right, simplicity at its best!

My next project will feature a B-W turbo in a 9-10 sec. street car, the engine is sitting here and other parts including the turbo are on the way. :)

No offense but I've used BW turbos since 2008 on non-Buick applications .. I know exactly what they offer up and how they perform... Impressive comp maps for sure.

BUT putting on a EFR to a buick isn't a simple bolt on ... a EXT GATE downpipe is and the benefits are more than obvious.
Whats the commonality between a INDY CAR and a Turbo Buick car driven in the street ? or even in a 1/4 mile race scenario ... 2 totally different environments with different needs.
Not to mention budget / driving conditions / and so on.

A int Gate is NOT a Engineering choice .. as venting on the turbine side CAN NEVER be as efficient as on a EXT gate vented on the highest pressure point in the system... PERIOD
The Ext gates just give you more resolution , faster reaction, more control ... internal gates are simpler but sometimes you pay the price for simplicity .

No offense but I've used BW turbos since 2008 on non-Buick applications .. I know exactly what they offer up and how they perform... Impressive comp maps for sure.

BUT putting on a EFR to a buick isn't a simple bolt on ... a EXT GATE downpipe is and the benefits are more than obvious.
Whats the commonality between a INDY CAR and a Turbo Buick car driven in the street ? ......... .

Glad to hear you have experience with the B-W turbo, this is my first one, and think it will be an awesome combination on the street!

I have been working with John Norton who is on the board here, and is a staff engineer at B-W. We speced the EFR-7670 Supercore with the .83 turbine housing, which is not a twin scroll, but a T-3 flange.

My plan is to have the air inlet face front, and the exhaust will exit straight back into the exhaust for excellent flow in and out. The TA alum heads are a clone of my race car heads, so the desire here is to reduce boost restriction as much as possible to minimize boost pressure but have more than ample HP. :)

Stock headers will be used and a fixture made so we can easily duplicate this installation with various brands of headers as well.

A Turbosmart boost controller will display boost, and also allow push-button control on the fly.

This may not provide optimum boost control in track competition as compared to an external gate, but it will be well suited for street "play"!

The BEST material to use for wastegate actuators is inconel. 304 stainless is a temp fix at best. We have run integral wastegate at 9.9's for many years. Choose the right material, and do it once.

The BEST material to use for wastegate actuators is inconel. 304 stainless is a temp fix at best. We have run integral wastegate at 9.9's for many years. Choose the right material, and do it once.

Yupp we have .. and cast cranks ... and stock diffs... just depends on what you want to leave on the table .. now days against todays stockers we just cant leave anything on the table

Who makes our waste gate actuator in inconel?

Who makes our waste gate actuator in inconel?

Nobody .. it would be too $$ and nobody would buy it .. just like anything that has quality to it .. wouldn't even need Inconel ... 321 stainless would do just fine and is much easier to deal with when machining and welding .. but nobody makes that either ..

I know when I made a few 321 Stainless downpipes for the TTA's nobody wanted to pay for the material cost difference let alone the extra fabrication time.. lesson learned.

and I agree fully with the statement above .. 304 is probably the last material you wanna use for this task.

I should have been clearer. Not the puck, but the hinge insert should be inconel. It also cannot be a tight clearance with the puck shaft. Loose is good. Kinda goes against better judgment.
I posted a pic of a 3.5" oval downpipe (stainless) I built for a TTA years ago. Yes no one would want to pay what it really costs to fabricate quality. I think I had 40 hours and $1800 in materials in it. It did work well, though.

I should have been clearer. Not the puck, but the hinge insert should be inconel. It also cannot be a tight clearance with the puck shaft. Loose is good. Kinda goes against better judgment.
I posted a pic of a 3.5" oval downpipe (stainless) I built for a TTA years ago. Yes no one would want to pay what it really costs to fabricate quality. I think I had 40 hours and $1800 in materials in it. It did work well, though.

Agreed Ken
It's the same reason GM chose to use Inconel on the factory exhaust valves ,, it was proven through R&D that conventional materials just didn't cut it.

So there is a project for someone ... a Inconel wastegate flapper setup :)

I called them it took 3 min on the phone the invoice says (TA V2008KIT Internal wastegate repair kit.Bolt together)
Think I talked to Tim