TA49 or TA60?

HyperV6

I'm trying to decide which turbo (TA49 or TA60 with a Garret .63 exhaust housing) would be best for my combination. I want a stock apprearing - journal bearing turbo with a Garret .63 exhaust housing.

original stock engine with Comp 979 valve springs only
009 injectors, XP pump, adj. reg.
stock turbo
ported stock turbo elbow with ATR 2.5" stock replacement downpipe
stock intercooler with Dutweiler 2.5" neck
Pete Tomka 3.5" air intake
Jimmy's stage 2 trans with Precision 2800 single disk L/U convertor
ATR crossflow exhaust system with test pipe
Hotchise lower control arms, air bags, and Bilstein shocks
vacuum brakes with S-10 wheel cylinders
soon to have MT ET Radials 255/60/15 tires on stock wheels

I would like to run in the 11.70's on race gas when max out and about 12.0's with it detuned some. I really like fast turbo response and don't want lots of lag. With the vacuum brakes I can not build boost at the line like I could with the powermaster but the new 2800 stall has helped alot and improved my 60 foots back to the powermaster days. I was wondering if the TA60 would be an improvement with my combination above over a TA49. I just don't want the TA60 to spool slow or not be as good overall.

Thanks for any advice on the two turbos.
Craig

I would go with the TA-49. Even with that you will get a little lag. I don't think you would like the 60 with your combo. I went 11.49 on a TA-49. JMHO :)

i had a ta 60 on my car that was a49 till it needed rebuilt so i upgraded to the 60.not really any difference spool wise imo i would go for the 60 if it was me,more power on less boost

I went 11.79@ 114 with my ta49, I swapped to a ta 60 the car drove EXACTLY the same but went 11.43@118, NO downsides with a TA60

Ya the TA49 is supposedly a 60 trim and the TA60 a 60-1 wheel.

Do you want the Garrett exhaust housing for stock looks?? The PTE will flow much better.

Ya the TA49 is supposedly a 60 trim and the TA60 a 60-1 wheel.

Do you want the Garrett exhaust housing for stock looks?? The PTE will flow much better.

I didn't notice that much difference in the spool rate between the Garrett and the Precision Housing.I bought a TE-44 years ago that had a Precision housing and I thought that the car was a little laggy.I took off the Precision housing(Big Mistake) and put a Garrett on the Turbo.The only difference I noticed is from a dead stop and a 4lb launch the Garrett housing pulled my car wildly to the left when it hit full boost.The Precision Housing made the car feel like it hit harder.I knew I made a mistake because the 44 Turbo with the Precision housing just felt faster for my engine.I don't even have a Cam with my engine.

I have a TA 60 and really like it. With the 2800 coverter you will have no problem spooling it when you do heads the car will spool i like a stocker.

I have a TA 60 and really like it. With the 2800 coverter you will have no problem spooling it when you do heads the car will spool i like a stocker.

I don't think my 44 Turbo spools like stocker with a 2800.The 2800 Converter is the stock D5 which was modified years ago.I think my wastegate setup is part of the problem though.The newer 6161 BB Turbo is suppose to spool lightning fast. I never liked going up in Turbo size in dramatic fashion myself.The TA-60 is not that much bigger then the TA-49 but I would still get a good 3000 LU Converter for a TA-60 even though a 2800 will work fine.:cool:

VERY surprised that a 49 is even around any more???

They're so... 1987-ish. Nostalgic, yes, but "antiquey" & needless.

The Limit LT-61s from John Craig, the 6152s from Fullthrottle
(as well as other similarly sized non-BB & even larger BB-turbos)
have proved over & over years ago that there is no lag
when running properly with the factory D-5 converter.

If you get "lag", it isn't originating w/those units, so it'd be best to look
elsewhere than the turbo or converter for something else to blame for any "lag".

We've owned & ran both turbos mentioned above, with the D-5,
& perpetually pondered :"WHY" anyone would wish to waste
their hard-earned cash on a 49?

[And the answer is: "CUZ MY GRANPAPPY HAD ONE, MAC!!"]

A colossal demonstration of choices from yesteryear
in a combo is to see a GN with a teeny 49, a blingy FM,
the "fabled" 009 injectors, and possibly even with a
crushed 237 FPR.

Threads about 'which turbo" resurrect & perpetuate
myths like front porch lights draw moths.

Here's hoping you get more for your money than a 49 will provide.

Out of all the rich multitude of great choices for an intial-upgrade
turbo, the 49 should not even be showing up on anyone's radar
in 2008. It was superbly superceded years ago.

Help pass the word.

The BB 6152 is the Turbo that I want.I think its called a BB 6161 now though.There's a few guys that have lag with this Turbo.I plan on a good 3200 LU converter.Also the cost of a new BB Turbo when someone has a good TA-49 might restrict them for a while.:cool:

hyperv6,the 49 will be your better choice to get the number your aiming for and the quicker spool you are looking for especially with the garret housing.the smaller turbo's work well on the stock motors and you will be able to keep the 009's.

Since you don't have ported head's and intake I would stay with the TA-49 with that 2800 Vigilante converter.Also the Garrett housing is fine I just liked the Precision housing on my TE-44 much better.I have CNC Ported Race head's and matching intake which is probably why the car with the Precision housing feels faster to me.At some point I am going to ditch the 009's and go with 60lb injector's.My next upgrade is to put back the Precision housing on my TE-44 and go with a 3200 Vigilante converter.Down the road I may go with a 6151 BB Turbo.:cool:

I COMPLETLY disagree, I ran a ta60 with my stock TC for years and there was no lag whatsoever, I would say with a 2800 stall u might even be able to go a lil bigger but you will be glad you got a ta60 if you do.

Thanks for the replys. For those using the TA60 how much boost were you running to get your best times? Was that with stock heads and cam?

Craig

I COMPLETLY disagree, I ran a ta60 with my stock TC for years and there was no lag whatsoever, I would say with a 2800 stall u might even be able to go a lil bigger but you will be glad you got a ta60 if you do.

any idea what the stall is on a stock convertor?

VERY surprised that a 49 is even around any more???

They're so... 1987-ish. Nostalgic, yes, but "antiquey" & needless.

The Limit LT-61s from John Craig, the 6152s from Fullthrottle
(as well as other similarly sized non-BB & even larger BB-turbos)
have proved over & over years ago that there is no lag
when running properly with the factory D-5 converter.

If you get "lag", it isn't originating w/those units, so it'd be best to look
elsewhere than the turbo or converter for something else to blame for any "lag".

We've owned & ran both turbos mentioned above, with the D-5,
& perpetually pondered :"WHY" anyone would wish to waste
their hard-earned cash on a 49?

[And the answer is: "CUZ MY GRANPAPPY HAD ONE, MAC!!"]

A colossal demonstration of choices from yesteryear
in a combo is to see a GN with a teeny 49, a blingy FM,
the "fabled" 009 injectors, and possibly even with a
crushed 237 FPR.

Threads about 'which turbo" resurrect & perpetuate
myths like front porch lights draw moths.

Here's hoping you get more for your money than a 49 will provide.

Out of all the rich multitude of great choices for an intial-upgrade
turbo, the 49 should not even be showing up on anyone's radar
in 2008. It was superbly superceded years ago.

Help pass the word.
Couldn't have been said any better!! :biggrin:

With todays technology, Why not spend your money on better technology?
And people are still posting the 49 would be better for his set up.. I don't get it.

With the BB turbo's- You can go larger and they will spool just as fast or better than the smaller journal bearing turbo's! That is a no brainer to me.

Scot W.

scott,the same question could be asked regarding converter choices.i see many willing to spend alot of money on ballbearing turbo's but not up on the new converter teck.i would rather have a smaller journal bearing turbo and a good converter than just a ballbearing turbo.plus in his case he has 009's and should go bigger on the injector for a bigger turbo.there seems to be alot of different opinions on spool.don't get me wrong i like big turbo's but with the mods to support.the 49 turbo has been into the 10's and alot of guy's including myself run solid mid 11's with trapps 118+,it's a solid turbo.alot of guy's talk bigger turbo's but the smaller ones 44,49,gt32,work well on near stock motors.some food for thought,the 49 turbo on my car with the garret.63 spools faster than the pte.63 housing and a 50 shot.plus with the smaller wheels less loading is required on the launch which i like when i'm racing.

Couldn't have been said any better!! :biggrin:

With todays technology, Why not spend your money on better technology?
And people are still posting the 49 would be better for his set up.. I don't get it.

With the BB turbo's- You can go larger and they will spool just as fast or better than the smaller journal bearing turbo's! That is a no brainer to me.

Scot W.

I really like my TE-44 Turbo but I would like to get a 6151 BB Turbo.I don't know if the 6151BB would spool as quick as the TE-44 but with My Race heads along with matching intake I think the 61 Turbo would rock.