TA49 or TA60?

bop4ever,the ta49 flows 800cfm and the te44 flows 850 cfm.both turbo's flow considerably more air than a stocker which with a few tricks can flow around 600 cfm.

The 49,44 and 60 are great turbos for slightly modded cars. I had a 49 with alky, 2800 9.5" vigilante converter, TTchip, and 009's. Stock long block and intercooler also. The car ran 12.0@113mph consistently at 21psi. The 49 or 60 would be an excellent choice.

I think people still like the TE44/TA49 because they are proven and because they are reliable. They spool quickly on the street and they aren't as hard on the motor. Sure they flow less than a big BB turbo, but the engine will last longer and the cost is cheaper. Each has its own advantages I think.

VERY surprised that a 49 is even around any more???

You shouldn't be. Because newer tech comes along doesn't mean proven reliable stuff all of a sudden becomes bad. It may not put up the same numbers, but there isn't anything wrong with a 49. Plenty of people have gone plenty fast on it.

I was thinking about a BB 6151 Turbo but my TE-44 hasn't even come close to running with a good tune.Sometime's bigger is not always better when it comes to a Street Turbo'd car.The more power the more stress on the engine.

Why I run a TA49

I run a TA49 because it looks exactly like my stock turbo.

When someone makes a ball bearing turbo with new wheels that looks exactly like my stock turbo, I'll think about buying one of those.

With a 100% stock longblock, my car went 11.53@118 with a turbo that looks exactly like the stock turbo.

.04 seconds less an the track would throw me off and make me put a roll bar in my car that looks exactly like a stock T-type, but with sticky tires on it, so I don't see much point in a $1000 Turbo (or even a precision turbine housing for my TA49, for that matter).

11.53 is almost impossible without race gas and some mods.I really don't care to use race gas on the street and the Precision housing made a big difference in my car with the TE-44 Turbo.But Im in no rush to get a BB Turbo myself.:cool:

Thrasher 108
36# Bluetops
275/60 BFGDR's
2.5" duals with ultraflows
TA49 with garrett housing an ported stock turbo bell
3 inch LS1 MAF inside of the factory airbox
THDP (it went 11.74 thru the stock Elbow)
Big neck stock intercooler (It went 11.8 thru the stock neck)
other basic cheap recipe mods on a 95K mile, un opened long block.

Thrasher 108
36# Bluetops
275/60 BFGDR's
2.5" duals with ultraflows
TA49 with garrett housing an ported stock turbo bell
3 inch LS1 MAF inside of the factory airbox
THDP (it went 11.74 thru the stock Elbow)
Big neck stock intercooler (It went 11.8 thru the stock neck)
other basic cheap recipe mods on a 95K mile, un opened long block.

Three questions. How much boost? Why the 3" MAF instead of the 3 1/2? How does the thrasher compare to a turbotweak chip?

With stock head's and intercooler the boost must have been turned up near the max.I have head's and Intercooler with my TE-44 and most guy's still are lucky to run mid 11's with a similar combination to mine.Im also not into running crazy boost and 110 octane.To me I only care how the car performs on the street,for now.:cool: I can't afford blowing the engine or trans at the track.

Three questions. How much boost? Why the 3" MAF instead of the 3 1/2? How does the thrasher compare to a turbotweak chip?

23 psi is the most I have ever run.

The 3.5" maf doesn't fit inside of stock airbox. The screens are removed and the screen ledge blended so it flows way more than even a screenless stock MAF. I still have the stock MAF, but it is a smooth hollow tube.

This also using a 6.5" long K&N filter. The bottleneck of a filter isn't so much the element length, but the size and shape of the throat. I would much rather have a 6.5" filter with a 3.5" throat with a smooth venturi, than a 14" filter with 3" throat with a square edge.

I don't know how much a turbotweak chip, but a Thrasher 108 was $25. If someone is going to run 36# bluetops and race gas, I don't recommend paying more that $25 for a race chip, because they WON'T run faster than a Thrasher 108.

Best. 36# Race Gas Chip. Ever.

If I was running Alchy or larger injectors, I would invest in a better chip, like a turbotweak.

With stock head's and intercooler the boost must have been turned up near the max.I have head's and Intercooler with my TE-44 and most guy's still are lucky to run mid 11's with a similar combination to mine.Im also not into running crazy boost and 110 octane.To me I only care how the car performs on the street,for now.:cool: I can't afford blowing the engine or trans at the track.

I built my car for the type of GN attitude that was prevalent in the 90's that Mods = Fast.

People would get an ATR or KB catalog and just start ordering, slap all the parts on and then think "It had to be fast" and were shocked when it wasn't.

There is no better feeling than popping the hood in the staging lanes after blowing the doors off a guy with $5K worth of bolt ons who wouldn't spring for $20 worth of race gas at the track.

I just care how my car performs on the street.As long as I feel the Torque and the tire's stick to the ground Im happy.At the track I would have fun but right now can't afford a blown engine,tranny or headgasket.I keep my boost at 18 lbs on the street with no problems.I jusst want to get a Precision housing and swap the Garett out.My car felt alot stronger with the Precision housing.Im going to wait for a BB Turbo unless my TE-44 starts to feel too slow for me.

I just care how my car performs on the street.As long as I feel the Torque and the tire's stick to the ground Im happy.At the track I would have fun but right now can't afford a blown engine,tranny or headgasket.I keep my boost at 18 lbs on the street with no problems.I jusst want to get a Precision housing and swap the Garett out.My car felt alot stronger with the Precision housing.Im going to wait for a BB Turbo unless my TE-44 starts to feel too slow for me.

If you want street performance, save your money for alcohol injection instead of a larger turbo.

If you did take your car to the track, you would be one of those people who are shocked to see how slow it is at 18 psi with a 93 chip, even with ported heads and a front mount.

Larger turbos make more power at higher boost levels. It's the Boost not the turbo size that's important.

If you want street performance, save your money for alcohol injection instead of a larger turbo.

Larger turbos make more power at higher boost levels. It's the Boost not the turbo size that's important.
Yup;)

I enjoy driving my car around town.If I wanted a street strip car and only to run 93 pump gas I would have gotten a Cobra.Im not into Ford's though or supercharged cars.I will keep my T-Type and buy a 6 speed LS1 Camaro although there a bit slow in stock form.

If you did take your car to the track, you would be one of those people who are shocked to see how slow it is at 18 psi with a 93 chip, even with ported heads and a front mount.

Thats probably what I plan on doing with Alky Injection.My car doesn't feel slow to me on the street with 93 octane but I can see how 110 Octane gas can change things alot.There are alot of car's that can run 11's with 93 octane gas,just not a whole lot of them.

Thats probably what I plan on doing with Alky Injection.My car doesn't feel slow to me on the street with 93 octane but I can see how 110 Octane gas can change things alot.There are alot of car's that can run 11's with 93 octane gas,just not a whole lot of them.

The 93 chip doesn't affect performance too much until you hit 3rd gear, then its like you threw out an anchor, vs. a race chip and/or higher boost with real octane.

Lots have people have run 11's on 93 octane gas, a few times, then popped a head gasket and realized, usually too late, if they added a little octane, they could go much faster, much safer.