Tail light fuse blows

rwolak1

This problem is on a 1987 GN.

Every time I turn on parking/headlights, the 20 amp "tail" fuse blows. The headlights will go on, stop lights, and turn signals work fine. However, I've got no tail lights or dash lights. What I've done so far is:

1. Checked grounds
2. Done a visual check of what wires I ca see.
3. I pulled the + terminal off the battery and put a test light between the + battery terminal and cable head. The test light immediately went on telling me there's a dead short someplace in the wiring. I then shut off all accessories, closed the trunk/doors and pulled the keys. The test light stayed lite. I then started pulling fuses, individually, to identify the bad circuit. I pulled a fuse, checked the test light and, if it still lite, I replaced the fuse and pulled the next one, hoping the test light would go off when the bad circuit was found. After pulling all fuses individually, the test light never went out.

Has anyone had this problem and, if so, how was it fixed?

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should try next? I've successfully used this process in the past to identify shorts and have been successful.

Any hep or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Pull out all the tail bulbs and have look-see. Maybe one is stuffed in the wrong way or melted

Last edited:
There is a ground connection for the tail lamps on the left rear wheel well, check for corrosion/loose connection.

One of the things I did to isolate the problem was to pull all of the tail lights. I went as far as unplugging the tail light wiring harness in the trunk on the driver's side. I also removed, cleaned, and replaced the drivers side ground. I also replaced the headlight switch, but not the dimmer. I also pulled the front parking light bulbs to isolate the proble..

Did you try unplugging the console light?
No, did not think of that. Is that the light on the shifter? The more reading I've done on this also seems to indicate there may be a short in a grey wire in the console. I haven't had time to check that out yet.