Taking a Stock Engine with Stock Turbo to the limit....

Did you balance that rotating assembly while you had the heads off? Get it to zero deck? or is this more of a "see what can be done with the factory stuff as supplied"?
If you are at 3200# mid 11s should be easy on a good sixty and good weather.
Probably been twenty five yrs but There was a Guy named David(cant remember his last name, it is hell getting old) from N Dallas out at the motor plex running 11.70s @115-117mph with stock turbo, fmic, chip and a cone filter. Skinny fronts and 28" slicks I believe.

Ken White will go faster. His Limited is pretty heavy.
I'm subscribed. I'm thinking you can go real low 11s maybe teens with the mods. I'm thinking tall tire and 3.23 to load up that turbo(just something to try). Keep plenty of fuel and with the alky stuff these days might be done on some 93 pump gas.

ken white went 11.78 (I think) on a stock engine, stock turbo , stock intercooler this year.

Bob

Yep... Ken is a friend of mine, that car does run well for what he has. he runs in most of the Musclecar Challenge races here at home and except Ennis all the tracks are 1/8 mile.

And probably around the same race weight.i have seen race gas high timing of 30degrees and lower boost 23psi run 11.8s years age and we put together a pump gas alky that ran the same number but 30psi and 20 degrees of timing.there is the power wall where it just won't go faster and stop really gaining out the back.

Like forcefeds numbers show (and Ed Brewer proved) there is still potential. Forcefed would have had an 11.4 with a killer 60ft. Keeping the rpms down is definitely key. Having a tbrake helps launch with an efficient converter for sure.

I may not may a lot more power, who knows. But removing the IC restriction and having the gears in place to keep the rpms down should be able to maximize the potential. We will see.

Like forcefeds numbers show (and Ed Brewer proved) there is still potential. Forcefed would have had an 11.4 with a killer 60ft. Keeping the rpms down is definitely key. Having a tbrake helps launch with an efficient converter for sure.

I may not may a lot more power, who knows. But removing the IC restriction and having the gears in place to keep the rpms down should be able to maximize the potential. We will see.

With that weight car .. and if you had a 200 .. 10's should be very achievable ..

I don't think you will have a problem eclipsing the 11.37 with your setup

Did you balance that rotating assembly while you had the heads off? Get it to zero deck? or is this more of a "see what can be done with the factory stuff as supplied"?

The motor was a stock running engine from a friend with no heads/intake on it, stock bore and uncut crank with stock pistons and rods still in it, and the heads were recently taken off another stock engine and thrown on. The heads are untouched as shown in the pics. No machine work. I would have loved to have an unopend engine to use but I tried to keep as stock as close as possible.

Yep... Ken is a friend of mine, that car does run well for what he has. he runs in most of the Musclecar Challenge races here at home and except Ennis all the tracks are 1/8 mile.

Did he go 11.78 in the qtr? I searched and only found updated 1/8th times posted. He def is running good.

Seems like I remember him going high 11's in BG this past year. Don't remember the exact number?

Thats cool, seems like there are more people that have gone 11-7-11.8 than I know. 11.6 and faster seems to be rarefied air though. How long ago did you run that?
2007. This is the same short block that went 9.86@138. It recieved my silver cars hand me downs when i would upgraded.

Seems like I remember him going high 11's in BG this past year. Don't remember the exact number?

That was 12.0 per his thread. EDIT: that was previous year, link to new time a few posts below. My bad.

Last edited:

From the texts I got he went 11.89 @111mph and 11.86@112.99 in the 90* heat in bowling green
Pretty salty for a stocker Limited. It will go faster with more tuning and better weather. Ken is a real sharp guy, and a great racer.

Last edited:
Cool, I had missed his updated 1/4 time from BG. I only saw his BG time from previous year and 1/8 times. Thanks.
Timing with e85... conservative or aggressive?

Don't think I ever updated my timeslip, from the previous year at BG

11.86 @ 112.99, 7.48 @ 91 in the 1/8th with a 1.61 - 60'. Launched at 23.9 lbs of boost, on the footbrake, still using the D5 converter.

It was 90 degrees outside. Car weighs 3660 lbs, with me in it.

Still on stock engine with valve spring upgrade
Stock Turbo and intercooler.

Finish line IAT was 212. Stock intercooler was a major hold back.
Car is on E85, SD2 setup and 80lb injectors.

3" DP, using factory turbo exhaust housing.

28" tall drag radials, locking converter, crossed finish line around 4960 rpm's.

I think where your at, weight wise, with fmic, you should be in the 10.9 - 11.0 range.

Lots of good help on tuning from Turbo Bob.

11.86 @ 112.99, 7.48 @ 91 in the 1/8th with a 1.61 - 60'. Launched at 23.9 lbs of boost, on the footbrake, still using the D5 converter.

28" tall drag radials, locking converter, crossed finish line around 4960 rpm's.

I think where your at, weight wise, with fmic, you should be in the 10.9 - 11.0 range.

This is the same setup the TTA had ... only stock DP ... and no where near a 23 PSI launch ..

There is a lot of ET in that suspension you have as well as the weight savings you will have ... I would be really surprised if it doesn't run 10's

Good luck im sure you'll get it done !

I think your way ahead of the game with the weight of the car and inmo the only way to really break the record.ed was t braking the car to 1.4 60fts and 11.3 with good air it's really impressive.i do know of a car with a built motor aftermarket computer front mount that ran 11.6 on the stock turbo but not sure of the weight.im in and can't wait for your results.

I have no doubt it won't take you and Paul too long to get that car into the 10's. Then the question is how far into the 10's can a stock turbo be pushed in a light car with great suspension?

You have ET left for sure. Surprised only a 1.61 60ft leaving that hard. You should be in the 1.5s.

On a cooler day I'm sure you'll pick up a tenth or two. Seems like you are already in the ballpark to get close to 11.6s and easy 11.7s. You need to be in the low 7.3s at around 92mph to hit 11.5s in my experience if you are hanging around the 1.60 60ft mark.

That finishing rpm is nice. Nice benefit of locking the converter.

I wonder how much you'll pick up if you ditch the stock intercooler.

I am axious to see what kind of 60ft I can get. Figure 1.5s should be a given but not sure beyond that. Its lighter, yes, but the gears may neutralize that down low. The tuning capabilities and tbrake should enable me to put down as much as possible and the suspension can handle it.

The best I've read was Brewer's 1.50 off a tbrake. The best I've gotten with a stock turbo is 1.58 off the footbrake on a restalled D5 and on another car a 1.59 off a tbrake with a TH400.