te-44 users

231rush

For the 44 turbo what do you run for an a/r housing. Do you like the 63 or 82. Garrett or the pte version. Have you noticed a difference in performance between the two. Thanks. By the way I run the 44 with the stock garrett a/r housing at 22lbs of boost to a best of 11.7 at 117mph. Just looking to see if it's worth the money to up grade a/r's.

TA49 USER HERE, CLOSE ENOUGH. I RUN A GARRETT .63 HSG. ITS NICE AND NOT LAGGY WITH A 3K STALL CONVERTER. YOU ARE DOING PRETTY GOOD SO FAR WITH THAT GARRETT HSG. IF YOU UPGRADED TO ANY OTHER ONE YOU WOULD PROB LOSE A LIL SPOOL BUT I DOUBT YOU WOULD NOTICE IT MUCH. A BIGGER EXHAUST HSG CAN GIVE BETTER TOP END IF CURRENT HSG SIZE IS CHOKING THE TURBO AT HI RPMS. NOT SURE IF YOU WOULD SEE A GAIN THO AS I HAVENT TESTED ANY OTHER HSGS EXCEPT MY OWN.

GUD LUK!!!

When I got my 44 from PT&E it had the Precision .63 housing on it. This housing was a little laggy for me but I think alot of this had to do with my car's tune (every car is different). I switched to the Garrett .63 and no more lag. If it's light to light action you prefer, the Garrett housing is the way to go. If you claim your victims on the highway, stick with the Garrett .82 or PT&E .63

My 44 has the PTE .85 turbine housing on it. I started with the PTE .63, and it was great. Since I have the BstC (boost command) installed with the quick spool tricks in it (Extender chips also have quick spool tricks), I've never had a problem with what could be called slow spool, even when I ran the .85 and my stock D5 converter.
Running a 3400 vigilante converter now, and there still no lag problem.
Sure likes to eat my Firestones ;)

I run a TE-44 with a .63 Garrett housing. The car currently has a stock D5 convertor, but an AC 9" 3000 stall is going in the trans along with a rebuild this winter. Spool up is a little slow with the stock convertor, but spooled instantly when I had the turbo and convertor in my other car. I've also been talking with Patrick at PTE about going to a PTE .63 housing, which should work great with the 9" convertor.

TurboDave....could you explain the "quick spool" tricks with the BstC boost command?

Thanks, Bill

PS, sorry for hijacking this thread but Dave's mailbox is full so I couldn't PM him.

It has to do with the TPS trigger level setting. The lower the voltage you set it to "wake up" on, the better the spool. AND, because the BstC, and the Extender chip both remove the ramp and filtering on the wastegate solenoid, this all equals quicker spool up.
There was ramping and filtering "built in" to the factory chip to purposely slow turbo spool to some extent. You wouldn't believe how fast the stock turbo really would spool with this junk turned off in the stock chip!!!! :eek:

Thanks for the response Dave....My combo is far from stock and I have my BstC set to trigger at 1.30 TPS voltage. Where do you have yours set?

Thanks, Bill

Bill, don't worry I like to read and try to learn as much as I can about these cars. There is so much I don't know. Also interested in the answer to your question.

Originally posted by billsgn
Thanks for the response Dave....My combo is far from stock and I have my BstC set to trigger at 1.30 TPS voltage. Where do you have yours set?

Thanks, Bill

As I recall, I have mine set to trigger at around 2.0v