The 2015 Annual Buick versus Ford Shootout at Noble

You know we "Okie Racing" usually bring 4-10 cars for team ford and have even fielded a few for team buick. Alot of what I am reading is correct, but ya know for someone who's been coming to and looking forward to the shootout since about '06 I have seen a big change in the field. But take us for example. My first few years I was in a 14 second car...for a long time a 10 sec car was the fastest we had. Hell in 2009 I was thrilled running 12's. We have stepped our program up though...my 12 sec car is now flirting with 8's. My pops 12.50 car is flirting with 10's. 8 second falcon used to be a 10 sec car. Can't blame us for wanting to go faster as is the case with most of our team ford buddies. We still bring 11-13 sec cars with us. And bet your bottom dollar next year they will be faster...and the year after that and so on. I was hoping this date change this year would open up a lot of people's schedules and grow the field but it just didn't work out. Regardless of what rules change and who shows up it is still our favorite race to run and support and always will be as long as it's around. Thanks to all involved in keeping it alive!

Amen

The announcer made the same mistake counting the Ford v. Ford races last year.

Heck he said I was staging when I was actually standing in the pits on my trailer! He corrected himself, but it about gave me a heart attack.

Attention in the pits. James Pringle please report tu the staging lanes.

Fast is fast and we cant blame the Fords for throwing everything they have at it. We need to entice some more fast Buick's to show up to equalize the ladder. If the rules were changed to pair cars with like times that would only result in the Fords sand bagging and running much faster in the final round. There are plenty of real fast BOP cars around the country and when we see one run we should invite them to participate next year. Personally I have seen many low 8 second and a couple of high 7 second BOP cars at races in the past year and sorry to say I did not promote this race. You can bet that will change. I ran the blue Buick Apollo this year and qualified with a 8.19 and yes the Fords were faster so we threw all we had at it which just resulted in almost crashing our car. We will be back next year with a 7 second car.

Your car is unbelievable. I love it. Great runs, and glad you kept it off the wall.

Landslides are bound to happen once in a while. It's just the nature of the beast. Blake did an awesome job this year and to say you're not coming back because of one bad year is just ridiculous. Team Buick needs more cars in the <9 second range! I qualified with a 10.41 and was the #35 Ford! I ran a 10.42 in eliminations with my n/a BBF street car. No sandbaggin here! I may have to put the hose on it next year if the LSX huns come rushing over the hill though! I love this event, win or lose and will definitely be there again next year.

Exactly. Some of you guys are the biggest whiners I've ever seen. You didn't get paired up with a 1 second faster Ford because the race promoter was trying to screw you, you got paired up there because our fast cars for the most part are not coming. Those 8 or 9 second team Buick cars that did come, thank you! We need more of that, but we also need the 11 and 12 second bolt on GNs to come back. Picking up your ball and going home is not the solution. We are outnumbered because our cars and drivers are getting old. The lsX guys will help out a lot, but Buick hasn't made anything remotely fast since 1987. So if you are tired of getting whipped, go buy some crap for your car and make it faster. I know that's what I'm going to do (and fix the blown up IC elbow...).

This race is completely fair. If the Ford guys sandbag, it doesn't help their team. Sure they might beat the crap out of some unsuspecting person, but they could have pushed their team's ladder down. Notice that the guys complaining about it being unfair brought 11 or 12 second cars. Bones had to race a freaking Pro Stock car and he didn't whine about it. He knew he was outmatched but he came and ran anyway. I don't like seeing stuff like that in the race either because honestly the only thing Ford on it was the blue oval decals on the fiberglass body. But it meets the rules of being a door car and it's Ford powered, so he can run. Plus he's a cool guy. It's not any more a race car than John Schmidt's (which btw he hasn't been back in foreverrrrrrr) Riviera, and that Riviera runs high 6s.

So don't complain about the Ford guys bringing more cars or faster cars. Make your car faster. Bring your buddies. Tell the people with lsXs to come race. Otherwise we are going to get drilled like that every single year until GM starts making fast Buicks, Old, Pontiacs, and GMCs again...LOL.

Reactions: BBR
Just for the record. Ford vs Ford and Buick vs Buick has never counted towards the final numbers. Yes, it was said over the intercom, but never actually happened. As far as the pairing goes, as stated by many Buick guys on this forum, only about 10 more 9-11 second Buicks show, it will completely change the ladder. A hand full of 12 second Buicks will also help. I have spoken to many many Buick guys, and by far and away, most of them understand that the LS Chevrolet must be invited or we are going to start to lose tons of Ford guys as well. Believe it or not, Team Ford does not enjoy a final that has our opponents covered by over a second. If tons of Buicks AND LS Chevrolets show up in 2016, and they have Ford way outnumbered, then 2017 will go back to the old rules minus LS Chevy. I don't see this being the case though. Believe it or not, multiple, and I mean 20 or so 8-11 second Mustangs didn't show this year due to building projects or parts failure. I simply want a way to keep this event alive. It is a very unique racing style, different than most other events. I am always open to listen to good ideas. As far as time of year, wow. I get so many opinions. The 2 main things I try to do is obviously miss BG and OU/Texas. Other than that, it's hit and miss. Summer time is too hot, late October - November, too cold. Early October, BG and OU/Texas. Anyway, as always, I have to set a date early before all are taken. 2016 is set for October 15th. Of course this will be some sort of a hybrid Friday Saturday event like this year. So you can call it October 14.5---15th.

Reactions: BBR
I will be there! Thanks for running a great event and hopefully the races next year will be closer. I don't like to lose.