The limit of the Stock Rear...

turbocliff

I Slang in my white T
I had posted here several months ago asking about what 60' times should new axles and building up the rear become a concern. In my last WE4, I went consistant 1.53s without any problems, and so I wasn't worried in my 87GN, cause my best to date was 1.57, that was until yesterday. My car has entirely stock suspension, less the front sway bar, and 90/10 lakewood shocks in front. I added air bags in both sides, and installed a brand new set of 28X10.5 slicks (I had 29.5 X 9 previously) and headed out to Byron. My first pass I went 1.522 but the car was still leaning over to the pass side, so we added a few pounds to the pass air bag (around 18psi) and left the driver's side @ 5psi. Next pass, 1.525, but car left with a little less boost 10, instead of 12, but left alot straighter, so we left the car the same. Third pass, went 1.50 @ 12 psi launch :) At this point I had made some comments about building up the rear end, ect. Next pass, was about to launch @ 15psi, and, SNAP!!!

I was fun, and I was laughing when I got out of the car, and was trying to tell the track official that his track didn't hook! LOL

This was all foot brake launches, which I always believed would never break a rear.... Now I know better-

Cliff

Yeah I have to laugh when I see posts about guys running 8's with the "stock' rear...........

Cal Hartline has a stock ring&pinion, but 33spline axels. He now uses a spool, but still the 8.5" and stock gears! 8sec.

why is it funny to here about 8.5 10 bolts in the 8's ?

I know two 7 sec cars (not turbo buicks) with 8.5 10 bolts in them ...yeah they have good prts in them tho

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
why is it funny to here about 8.5 10 bolts in the 8's ?

I know two 7 sec cars (not turbo buicks) with 8.5 10 bolts in them ...yeah they have good prts in them tho

Well after reading the first post and judging the 60's I dont think its a 8 sec car and he broke it. I have also seen a few cars running alot slower breaking them and or bending the axel tubes as well. I chucked at the 8's because it seems like the minoritynot the majority from what I have observed. If you read my post I said stock rear in quotes. Now if you add good axels which necessitates a new carrier and or a spool, back brace it or add reinforcement bars to the axels tubes, use a reinforcement cover etc etc to make it work in the 8's on a consistant basis and it does great. By the time you add it up with labor your just about at what you can get a good aftermarket rear for but still have the stock gears which become the next weak link. Thats my opinion.

I was just trying to understand what you meant :)

class racers like the cars I mentioned before are trying to get all the can ...smallestrear that will hold up = more hp to the ground

I do believe once you get to low 1.5 60 fts its time to start thinking about the rear .. atleast better axles

I know plenty do better on bone stock rears .. I have made high 1.4's on mine and its factory stock with over 190,000 miles on it :)

I hear ya. How many 1.4 short times on it? Check your axel tubes they tend to bend forward.

Laugh all you want. I have the stock rear with these modifications:

33 spline axles
Strange 33 spline spool
T/A cover

I have gone a 1.30 60' without the axle tubes welded or any brace other than the T/A Cover. Perhaps my axle tubes are bent, I don't know (they still don't leak and the car goes straight)

Not very expensive IMO.

FWIW: My buddies Nova has gone 8.4's@169 on drag radials with a 35 spline 10 bolt.

Originally posted by HighPSI
Laugh all you want. I have the stock rear with these modifications:

33 spline axles
Strange 33 spline spool
T/A cover

I have gone a 1.30 60' without the axle tubes welded or any brace other than the T/A Cover. Perhaps my axle tubes are bent, I don't know (they still don't leak and the car goes straight)

Not very expensive IMO.

FWIW: My buddies Nova has gone 8.4's@169 on drag radials with a 35 spline 10 bolt.

Cal,

I think you misinterpreting my "laugh". I'm not laughing sarcastically, I'm doing so in surprise that some people and yourself are having such good luck at that power level. I hope you still continue to do so.
I guess its similar to using billet internals in the trans. Some people do not use them and dont break.

My apoligies. I thought you didn't believe me :)

To be honest, I am suprised at how strong the stock rear is. I can't remember the last time I saw one break (besides axles)

Turbocliff

Did you ever find out what broke?

All you should need is good stock replacement axles or maybe a carrier of your choice with a higher spline count. I had a lot of high 1.4-low 1.5 short times on my factory rear before it let go. I tried leaving too hard on a mild track and the car tire hopped and sheared 5 gears off the ring gear. No street gear will take that abuse. I just put some 3.42's from jeg's back in it and never had any more trouble. Best 60' was a 1.43

And Cal's 1.30 60' was probably tripped on the back tires.

There were 2 ring gear failures in TSM this year. I was thinking of doing somethind about mine untill i found that there were no pro or racing gears for the 8.5. From Dustys experience and others Ive heard the trick is to just put in a new fresh set that hasnt been hammered on for 14 yrs!;) I will be doing this soon.

Dusty- I have already replaced the sheared axle, and it was broken about 1/2" past the splines inside the axle tube. I inspected the other for damage or stretching, and it appeared OK. I am going to order Moser c-clip 31 spline axles, and the 31 spline spool. Later I may install the TA girdle as well, but I should be fine with this set up since the quickest 60' I expect would be high 1.4s

-Cliff

Originally posted by Louie L.
There were 2 ring gear failures in TSM this year. I was thinking of doing somethind about mine untill i found that there were no pro or racing gears for the 8.5. From Dustys experience and others Ive heard the trick is to just put in a new fresh set that hasnt been hammered on for 14 yrs!;) I will be doing this soon.

I've posted before, that after all the upgrades the ring and pinion become the the achilies heel for the 8.5 on a fast heavy car.

Well, with the addition of another stock axle (thanks to Dr. Boost) I went back to the track, and despite trying not to launch as hard as I did when I broke, I pulled a 1.47 60'- Didn't brake yet! lol

I had even added a couple pounds of air pressure to promote a little spin (12psi), but It hooked apparently-

I will build up before next season- I swear! :D

Originally posted by turbocliff
Well, with the addition of another stock axle (thanks to Dr. Boost) I went back to the track, and despite trying not to launch as hard as I did when I broke, I pulled a 1.47 60'- Didn't brake yet! lol

I had even added a couple pounds of air pressure to promote a little spin (12psi), but It hooked apparently-

I will build up before next season- I swear! :D
:rolleyes: christmas is comming you better not be telling lies cliff:p

I went 1.39 60' with just stock replacment moser axles. Shortly after that i broke the ring pinion and carrier It had a hole in the cover about 3/4 inch round. Still dont know what came out there. It now has 35 spline mark williams axles spool c-clip eliminators billet yoke richmond gears ta cover and the housing was straighened and welded.

I just broke a 9" f-rd ring gear. I sheared 7 teeth off it. I was using a locker with a street gear. The slop that is built into a locker is what I think caused it to break. When the lash is suddenally taken up like on a launch, something is going to break. I'm suprised it wasn't an axle. This time it is going back together with a pro gear and a spool.

So Louie that makes three TSM cars that broke ring gears.:D