Thrust surface on crankshaft question...

SinistrV6

Valve Monkey
What determines whether the thrust surface of a crank is good? How do you check it? Can it be repaired if it is out of spec and how? I sold a crank to a guy and never even thought to check that (sorry Rocky!)

Thrust face

Rich, if the surface is scored and /or burnt, it has to be refaced and an oversized thrust/main brg used. If that is not an option, then the crank has to be welded and reground to stock specs.
I look for a range of .004 to .007" crank endplay.

Can it be done?

The guy that I sold the crank in question to took it to his machinist and he was gonna try welding on it but was afraid of damaging the crank in the process. If it's worth doing and fairly reliable I might get him to ship the crank back to me and repair it and keep it for a spare. It was otherwise very nice and previously unturned (only about .004 undersized on the journals)so .010/.010 was gonna clean it up nicely. If it's an "iffy" repair method I might just let him dispose of it rather than ship junk parts cross-country.

I wouldn't have it welded...Personally, I'd rather use a NA crank instead of a welded one...If anything, just have the thrust reground and use a oversized thrust bearing...

how much is too much?

According to his machine shop, it is worn too much for an oversize bearing to make up the difference. Like I said, I didn't check it myself so I'll have to take his word for it at this point. How much wear is too much and how do you measure it? Seems to me you should put it in the block and check endplay to determine that. Am I wrong?

Clevite makes an oversize bearing that is .040" wider than stock bearing. This should be enough to repair almost any crank. I just put one in mine. I think the stock bearing is 1.057" and my new bearing was 1.097". I am going off memory here and don't have the numbers in front of me. My machinist also thought my crank was trash until I found this bearing. Go to napaonline.com and search the bearing part # MS1690P it is there. They machined the crank thrust surfaces to use the bearing. The bearing does not come in .030" oversize just .010,.020, and .040" I also had to turn the main journals .020" due to the bearing size. I now have .004" end play.
Does your crank thrust surface have deep grooves on both sides or just one side? Measure the gap between the surfaces and compare to the stock bearing spec. which I just looked up and the stock bearing spec. is 1.057" length which is actually from outside of flange to flange on the bearing. the number for the Clevite bearing set is MS1690P. It cost me $125.00 to have the crank reworked .020" on the mains polish th rod journals and machine the thrust surfaces. No welding required.

Tim

Crank's origin

No standard tranny behind this one. I personally pulled it from a 4.1L 4bbl LeSabre w/ automatic trans.