Tires

eagleguy

I am sure this has been asked before but here it goes again. I am currently running stock size 215/65's on all four corners of my 86 T Type. What is the highest and widest I could go without any rubbing issues? I was thinking 235/60's all around but would they be noticeably larger width and height wise?

Last edited:
Yeah, its been beat to death. Lol. 235/60/15 all around will work and is about the largest you can go up front without rubbing issues at full lock. Some, like me, have a tiny amount of rub at full lock with the 235 (stock T wheel; stock ride height) but since you rarely spend time with the wheel fully cranked its a non-issue 99.9% of the time. Generally speaking you'd be looking at about a .1" height increase and ~.8" width increase depending on the tire.

Good luck finding them! I've had to special order mine. And when one sliced, only a few months later. I tried to replace it under road hazard and the manufacturer didn't make that tire in that size anymore!

So now I have a set of Nitto drag radials on the rear. They hook much better but still do not compare to my old M/T's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently have Futura GLS Super Sports (Cooper) 215's from Pep Boys. They have the 235's and they are one sale BUT I only have 2500 miles on the current tires. Wonder if the wider tire would improve handling any?

Currently have Futura GLS Super Sports (Cooper) 215's from Pep Boys. They have the 235's and they are one sale BUT I only have 2500 miles on the current tires. Wonder if the wider tire would improve handling any?

I feel going to an H, V or Z rated tire with a stiffer sidewall will improve the handling more than just a wider tire.
I suggest going with 235's in front and 255's in the rear with the highest rating possible. Unfortunately they will probably not be found at pep boys and will be more expensive.

For what it's worth, I didn't notice a difference in ride or handling going from 16's to 17's like I did going from 15" S rated (stock GT's) to 16" V rated BFG Comp T/A's. (16's in 1988) (17's in 1992)

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight. I am a fan of rotating tires so I would like to keep them all the same.