tranny fluid everywhere!! help

customsoundz

So I got the 200-4R in and Tv cable set. Nothing leaked and it went in all gears well. Thats when I decided to take it for a spin. I went around the block several times making sure Im getting proper shifting in low speeds. Everything checked out and still no leaks. Then I took it out of town about 3 miles. It shifted up fine and when I stopped to turn around it downshifted fine and at the turn around it still didnt leak. After take off it shifted up 1-2, 2-3 but then started pouring fluid out and hitting my exhaust. When I seen the smoke I got the car to the side of the road asap and shut down. The fluid was pouring out of the dust cover. I now got the car home and cover pulled off but theres so much fluid everywhere to tell where its coming from. Whats a few of the first things that goes out on the front of a 200-4R? And did I hurt the tranny by dumping that much fluid out? Theres none on the dipstick and car wouldnt go in gear after all this. Any help would be much appreciated!

check the vent on the top of the case to make sure it's not clogged or something.. if it is, the pressure will find the next easiest path out of the trans when it warms up, which would probably be the front seal.

I bought it from a guy that said it was rebuilt with less than 500 miles on it. This may teach me not to trust anyone when it comes to used parts. Whats the best way to check that vent? Does it just pull out or something?

White tube on top just before large Bellhousing part of Case starts. You can feed a piece of wire into it if you can get to it.
Pic shows Tube: UniBell Chevy&BOP 2004r.jpg

Sounds like it could be either:
1. Front seal
2. Bushin behind the front seal
3. Torque Convertor neck is cracked
4. Something wrong with front pump.

Pull it back down and inspect the front seal and bushin properly and inspect the neck and welds on the torque convertor. Best of luck with it.

I bought it from a guy that said it was rebuilt with less than 500 miles on it. This may teach me not to trust anyone when it comes to used parts. Whats the best way to check that vent? Does it just pull out or something?
Lesson learned not everyone is honest now the money and time you will spend well u know. Good luck

You take a chance, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. I've seen brand new parts fail and rebuilds from reputable folks give trouble until it gets sorted out. These things happen unfortunately.

Regards,
Shev

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll get the car up on the jack stands and get it pulled out this weekend hopefully.

Ok so I pulled it outthe tranny and the front seal wasnt pushed out but fluid ran from it when I pulled the torque converter off. So I pulled the seal and I think its whats called the bushing (thin steal tube like right behind seal) that was tore up. There was pieces shaved off. Im guessing I need to replace that and seal. So should I do the front pump seal right away too or just those 2? And how hard is it to pull that bushing out? Any special tools?

While you're at it you'll need to check TC run out. Sounds like your converter isn't running true and this has flogged out the front bush. The best/only option is to pull the pump, split it and replace the bushing and seal. You'll probably find metal in there so a good clean out is in order too. Depending on the housing you'll need to drive the bush out from the front once the seal is removed. Once you have it apart it'll be pretty obvious what you need to do.

turbofrank said:
Lesson learned not everyone is honest now the money and time you will spend well u know. Good luck

Wrong. The cause of failure hasn't been identified. The seller likely knew nothing about transmissions or that anything could have been wrong.

If the bushing spun it may need a new pump housing. The late casting gas a step and the bushing can't walk out. Earlier ones can walk out. I always use bearing retaining loc tire on them. There are upgraded bushings available that ate Teflon coated. Also as mentioned the converter needs to be looked at and be sure the flexplate isn't bent.

Remove the front seal, if the bushing is hanging out of the pump, it more than likely spun.