Trans temp readings pan vs cooler return line

Steve

I currently have my trans temp sending unit located in the return line from the coolers back to the transmission. I looked around online and it appears that the reading in the return line would be higher than the reading in the pan in most cases and I wanted to check and see if any has any experience with this to make sure that is accurate. If the return line is indeed a higher temperature than the pan then it would make sense to me that if I can keep the temp in check in the return line than the pan should be good to go also. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

I currently have my trans temp sending unit located in the return line from the coolers back to the transmission. I looked around online and it appears that the reading in the return line would be higher than the reading in the pan in most cases and I wanted to check and see if any has any experience with this to make sure that is accurate. If the return line is indeed a higher temperature than the pan then it would make sense to me that if I can keep the temp in check in the return line than the pan should be good to go also. Any input is appreciated. Thanks
Install it the the trans pan. You want to monitor overall fluid temp as this is what matters to the clutches/band and longevity of the transmission.

Install it the the trans pan. You want to monitor overall fluid temp as this is what matters to the clutches/band and longevity of the transmission.

Thank you for the response. I am not opposed to moving the sender if that is the best option. Is a Hughes Aluminum pan thick enough to drill and tap?

Thank you for the response. I am not opposed to moving the sender if that is the best option. Is a Hughes Aluminum pan thick enough to drill and tap?

Yes...plenty thick to tap for a sender. Also, the line out of the transmission to the cooler will read significantly hotter because that is what is coming out of the converter (assuming a non-lockup condition). The line coming out of the cooler will likely be cooler than the pan, although not always. Like Dave said, the pan is the best place for a steady average reading.