Transmission cooler lines

Jared31

So I took motor and transmission out a few months back and started putting everything back together. I don't know how the tranny cooler lines go. Does the top line from radiator go to top port on transmission? Any and all help would really be appreciated.

I think it was trans bottom to rad bottom the pump of trans is the bottom out top return in. so bottom of rad is in .top is out to keep pressure in the line .

I think it was trans bottom to rad bottom the pump of trans is the bottom out top return in. so bottom of rad is in .top is out to keep pressure in the line .
Top line is out to cooler, bottom line is return to trans.
Top port from the trans, goes to the bottom port on the radiator. Top port on radiator goes to bottom port on trans
correct

Glad the pros jumped in cause been running mine the way I said what would happen .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My guess would be the radiator is cooler at the bottom so the hottest fluid in would be cooled faster. I've also heard it's so the fluid will push any air bubbles out.

OK fellows here's the deal it makes absolutely no difference as far as the cooler is concerned it does not care if the fluid comes in from the top,the bottom or sideways, as in some of the radiators that have their tanks on the top and bottom of the cores,there are no one way check valves,it doesn't matter. When gm ford and Chrysler give us the info on the lines,they are just letting us know which line coming out of the trans itself is the pressure Line and which is the return.Hope this helps

I have been running mine the way I said in my reply post and the tranny shift nice I also have an external cooler for about 3 years or more .

I have been running mine the way I said in my reply post and the tranny shift nice I also have an external cooler for about 3 years or more .

Are you running the aftermarket cooler in series with the factory cooler in rad. If you are this is absolutely the best way you can do it and you are right on target as heat and torque are the two biggest killers of a transmission. The guys that run just an aftermarket cooler with no fan on the cooler and also bypassing the factory coooler are just burning the unit down especially on a street car

So in all opinions it is top of trans to bottom of "rad / cooler" then top out of "rad" thru external cooler wherever mounted then routed back to bottom of transmission !

Now throw in a couple bottles of platinum lubeguard and you'll really be rocking you can buy it at oreillys, it drops the operating temperature quite a bit and also as a friction modifier,works great.Ask nick Micale on the board how good it is as I turned him onto it and he loves it

So in all opinions it is top of trans to bottom of "rad / cooler" then top out of "rad" thru external cooler wherever mounted then routed back to bottom of transmission !
Except mine I'll be the odd man out it doesn't matter in the factory cooler but yes if you're going to run an aftermarket cooler run it through the factory cooler first out to the aftermarket cooler and back to the transmissions lower cooler fitting on trans, as this is cooler return.

Most important part here is how the oil goes thru the external cooler which should be a LPD design. If it is mounted vertical, it has to fill from the bottom up. If mounted horizontal, I mount in such a way as to have a low side. Keep the lines as short as possible. Testing I did back in the early 90's allowed me to create problems in the 200-4R by using different cooling configurations. This info is more related to use of a Lock-up but should be followed for non-lock as well. I will not warranty a trans unless cooler configuration is correct. Photo evidence is sometimes provided. Protect your investment for years to come and get the cooler configuration correct.

Hope this might help you out

Attachments

• Picture 100.jpg
    Picture 100.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 225
  • Picture 103.jpg
    Picture 103.jpg
    902.5 KB · Views: 226
  • Picture 104.jpg
    Picture 104.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 287
  • Tranny Cooler installation.jpg
    Tranny Cooler installation.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 256
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 311
  • TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER.pdf
    775.1 KB · Views: 118
Hope this might help you out
The diagram you posted is wrong as it does not fill the cooler from the bottom up. The out of the radiator goes to the bottom of the aux cooler. This is assuming the top line is the return line.

Looking at your pictures and the specs of the cooler you show, the cooler is too small for anything but a stock converter. Look into the Hayden 1679. It is priced right and comes with everything you need to install. In cooler summer climates and a lock-up, a 1678 can be an option.

Last edited: