Tube Chassis

GNBRETT

Pelennor Fields
How much weight is saved when going to a tube chassis (GN). Does that have to include a full cage for stability or can a tube chassis be installed with out a cage or bar?

Nope..

How much weight is saved when going to a tube chassis (GN). Does that have to include a full cage for stability or can a tube chassis be installed with out a cage or bar?

The tubes forming the rails, the roll cage, etc, are all interconnected, to form a rigid structure.
As for wt savings, that depends on how far you go with panel replacement, such as alum floors, firewall, suspension, etc.
It's totally new "ballgame" when you go that route.:D

Most of the tubed cars we have seen are original TR's that have been cut and.... Most of them are in the 2850-3000 range. Now building one from the ground up is a whole different game!

Most of the tubed cars we have seen are original TR's that have been cut and.... Most of them are in the 2850-3000 range. Now building one from the ground up is a whole different game!

Would you happen to have any pics of these cars. I am with you Brett on this one, I am considering doing whatever I can to make my TT GN as rigid yet as light as possible.

I miss how my C5 handled, but I love my TRs too much. Im going to do whatever I can to get the best of both worlds :wink: .

My nova that is a full 2x3 frame with a 14 point cage is about the same as the old weight. It really make a differnce if you use mild or moly. At the time the pile of tubing for mine was $500 ( steel was cheap then). But the same moly would have been 5 times that much. A light race car is 2000lbs and was laughed at by our chasis builder when I said mine was light at 2700. Weight needs to be thought of in every aspect including turning weight 1lbs=8lbs dead weight. So when I hear guys on the board talk about losing 200lbs off the car, I think 25 lbs turning weight. TC,driveshaft,rear diff, tires are easy to lose that.

O, ok. Thanx John. I was actually wondering what his car weighed the other day.