turbo 400 swap ?

turbocamino1

turboholic
The gear ratio's for both 1st and 2nd, are taller for the 400 vs. the 2004R , 2.48 vs 2.74...and 1.48 vs 1.57...i am curious as to how this shows in street function ....is it very noticeable cruising and or on full pulls? (moreso,full pulls)

Yes, and no. For me at first, things felt quite a bit different. Light throttle and slow cruising isn't so much different. Moderate throttle and you feel it a little more.

Then I got used to it. I must admit, I didn't like the higher RPMs. But for my combination, the power is there when I lay into it.

I think it has a lot to do with the converter being correct.

My highway cruise RPMs are around 2700. This also takes getting used to. I thought I would end up installing a Gear Vendors box. But now it feels right.

I have a th400 with a 3.30 rear gear and i have no problem taking it on the highway. After blowing up dozens of 200's, i love the confidence it gives me. my trans builder said he will see me in 10 years lol. I honestly think my car is faster with the 400 but i have no back to back data.

The gear ratio's for both 1st and 2nd, are taller for the 400 vs. the 2004R , 2.48 vs 2.74...and 1.48 vs 1.57...i am curious as to how this shows in street function ....is it very noticeable cruising and or on full pulls? (moreso,full pulls)
Its noticeable in every way.i would suggest you take a ride in someone's car with a 400 and make your decision based on a real ride.

I got a pretty loose stall it's around 3.2k , and the RPMs are definitely up even at 45-50mph I feel like I'm at 2,500rpm.

But other then that I like that it will last.

My car may see the interstate once a month so i have crossed off losing 4th as a concern...also am stepping both feet into a 4.1 ,269ci motor. The 200 has served me well in the 600Hp range with the 109 but will run the bigger engine around 750Hp, or so. I figure it will have enough to pull a tall gear and like it. I also want that security of knowing its dependable...and maybe i can finally get a decent 2-3 shift at part throttle..(a whole nother post,i know) I can now start researching "how too" Thanks for your input.

I have a th400 with a 3.30 rear gear and i have no problem taking it on the highway. After blowing up dozens of 200's, i love the confidence it gives me. my trans builder said he will see me in 10 years lol. I honestly think my car is faster with the 400 but i have no back to back data.

it is faster .. because it won't burn up the clutches everytime you turn the wick up :)

reliable solid box .. but you need to try one to make sure it fits your needs ... once your used to it and with the right other motor parts .. it works and is dead reliable

Just go with a 4L80 And be done with it . If I can do it over and had the cash I would go that route . The best of both worlds .

If you are worried about losing a gear and drive your car a lot I would save up . I have driven my car from LA to San Diego with my 400 and that was the only time I wish I had a OD . Cruising on the fwy around 3400 @ 75 mph wasn't the best

If you are worried about losing a gear and drive your car a lot I would save up . I have driven my car from LA to San Diego with my 400 and that was the only time I wish I had a OD . Cruising on the fwy around 3400 @ 75 mph wasn't the best

I'm at ~2800rpm cruising on the highway with my GN ... about a 700 rpm difference from my 200 ... FOR SURE it takes some getting used to ... but when coupled to a mill that takes a bit of RPM ... you don't miss the 200 much.

IS it ideal for a 1000 mile road trip ... nope ... but is the reliability factor nice on a700 hp mill ... YUPP

As mentioned before you really need to try one and decide from there.. breaking a 200 all the time sux .. and so does the fact that there are only a few guys left that can build a 200

anyone can build a 700 hp 400 that will live longer than a 109 will

There are a few things t consider. If you are making enough power to go with a TH400 then you are should also probably consider going to a ~3.23 or numerically lower rear gear.
AG.