Turbo Size

jmidolo

Sexy MF Joe
OK, time for a turbo upgrade for my TTA. The car has gone 11.45 w/a TA60. It has a 2800 stall Orange stripe TC in it. I bought the car back in March and it had the stock turbo back on it but still have the tc in it. It's also got 36# blues in it. Not 868s!

Anyways. I plan on going to 50#ers soon. So, what would you all recommend for a turbo upgrade? I think I'm going to stick to a John Craig unit, so please, no PT51s etc...I've had a PT51 and it was great, but want to stick w/a Limit turbo this time..I've benn out of it for a while so don't know what's out there these days....

Joe

Assuming you drive it on the street and don't want to suffer a bunch of lag for the sake of what goes on after the needle is buried, your torque converter will dictate.

I expect John will steer you towards a 60 or 61. 62's and 63's are getting pretty big for your stall and I think John will probably discourage them.

These are just educated guesses.

Good luck.

Let us know what you end up with.

:D

well it had a ta60 and had no issues spooling..1.60s normally. Are you talking TA or TE series?

Joe

Originally posted by 86brick
Get a TE61 with the .63 housing:D

Just saying that or have experience with it? What combo do your run, what short times and ets are you running with it?

The difference between the TA and TE is the compressor cover. The TA is "stock appearing" and uses an inlet bell. For TE's, the MAF plumbing connects directly to the compressor cover - no bell needed.

The restriction represented by the bell results in less HP for a TA relative to the equivalent TE.

Personally, I greatly dislike the look and installation (bell, gasket, 2 nuts) of a bell, not to mention less HP, so TA's are off my list.

:D

Nope, I have a TE44 turbo and run high 11's with a 1.7 60', but I've seen several guys running 10.70's with the TE61 turbo (they are getting high 1.4 60' times). What stall is your converter? The guys that I know of that have the TE61 say you really need a 3200 stall converter, so if you have a 2800-3000 you might want to get the TE60. You should call and speak with John Craig @ Limit Engineering cause I'm sure he would be able to make the best suggestion of turbo for your goals and combo.

Yep, am going to call John, I think he knows his stuff :) Just wanted to get some ideas, Like I said I had been out of TRs for about 6 months when I sold my GN and looked for a TA, theres so much new stuff out there. tablabla -a te, lmnop..theres sooo many choices :)

"if you're gonna upgrade, then upgrade!"

I agree with Woody, but how about a Stage II motor with some 160lb injectors, PT88, and a built TH400 with a 4500 stall converter and a trans-brake;) :D

Damn !! Hate to be around that thing when it begins to spool !!!
Someone might dissappear !!...If you ever got it to spool..look out !
Brian

If you guys don't stop using my picture without some royalties coming my way, heads are gonna roll! :D But, seriously, that is me. :) I got a haircut since then.

dudeski, who was that? No, I always been me. As for the turbo, it was from a carwash, the drying blower. Pretty cool looking anyhow. See all the structure in the background? That was the framing and parts that the carwash was made of.

I used to run that turbo, it is a TE-700. Spool was pretty good with my stock D5. It was the hole in the hood that bothered me so I went a little smaller.:D