Turbo smoke

1turbo6

I am going to send my turbo out for a rebuild due to the car smoking (oil) when at temp. I was thinking I had too much oil pressure and pushed a seal since it had very little shaft play. I was going to install a restrictor in the feed line to reduce oil pressure. but when I spoke to the guy at precision he said it is impossible to have to much oil press. is this true? I know I have read about other guys blowing out seals.

starting at $185 depending upon needs

precision knows there **** and do quality builds. i would agree with the oil statment he said. i have a BB turbo on my bike and it has a restrictor built in but the only reason its there is the turbo doesnt need as much oil as a stander journal bearing turbo.

I am chasing down a smoking problem that I believe is from too much oil pressure. I have a turbonetics charger right from their site it quotes

• Excessively high oil pressure at idle may cause oil leakage and/or smoking at idle or deceleration
• Upon cold startup the use of heavy weight oil may cause smoking and/or leakage until oil temp increases to proper operating range

Maybe PTE turbos are different?

I am going to try a restrictor to see if it helps after researching some of these posts

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/240043-too-much-turbo-oil.html

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/206106-recurring-turbo-seal-problem.html

I think I will try this restrictor it even says it is for journal bearing turbos Oil Inlet Restrictor - .065" hole size 1/8" NPT (for Journal bearing and larger GT BB): atpturbo.com

I am not sure what I am going to do yet.the guys at precision said since it is a gravity drain it is impossible to have too much psi. he also said I would cook my turbo with that restrictor.

If you unbolt the downpipe from the exhaust housing and see oil, then you have a turbo seal that has gone bad, thus causing the smoke..I had this seal on a fresh rebuild with less than 10K on it go bad, thus causing the smoke...Turbo was still under warrenty, and fixed for free :biggrin:

at temp in park @ idle I shut it down then go back and fire it up and got smoke, or quick stop at store.. in the end it was the stupid PCV sucking up that oil and stuffing into my motor, then i fire it up and poooof

added catch can and all better now, maybe not whats up with yours but i was freaking out untill i did a little more detective work

I'm having a similar issue... I haven't taken anything apart yet but I have verified the smoke isn't from a "blown head gasket". I'm thinking turbo seal but haven't gotten a chance to work it (My GTX has taken priority) The car smokes like a chimney at start up and at stops. I don't have any build info from the previous owner so I really don't know what's been done aside from the visual. Car runs fine... just smokes. If anyone has any guidance or a link to some helpful info id really appreciate it. Thanks

Check the oil drain back if no obvious thrust issues with the turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_3924.JPG
Check the oil drain back if no obvious thrust issues with the turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not all too familiar with components. Is the drain back the two bolt flange piping at the base of the turbo that runs to the block? Thanks for your reply.