Vacuum brake vacuum line

ttypewhite

This thread is for those that did a vacuum brake conversion but your brakes still feel soft. When my Powermaster went south on me, I converted to the vacuum brake deal and also changed the brake pedal to the one with the correct ratio. I bled the system and they worked, not not good. They felt soft and needed to be pumped a couple times to work decent. So I started trouble shooting it, and started with the master cylinder. I bench bleed it first, then bled all 4 corners multiple time with the same results. I didn't like the idea of the rubber hose going from the vacuum brake to the intake. So I decided before I buy another master, I was going to replace the line and brake check valve first because the rubber stuff looked odd under my hood.

I have drilled and taped my 1" spacer for the vacuum source with is the rubber line at the back of the intake.

IMG_00000756_zps2a508175.jpg
IMG_00000754_zpsf7ae5502.jpg

I was looking through the Summit Racing catalog and saw this check valve for the master. Part# is on the box

IMG_00000759_zpse2d2ded6.jpg
IMG_00000761_zps980fcce8.jpg
IMG_00000760_zps68952e24.jpg

I made up my own line using #6 line and Russell fittings (#6 straight and #6 90)

IMG_00000768_zps4ec854b0.jpg

Installed it on the car

IMG_00000771_zpsa7d9b9bd.jpg
IMG_00000770_zpsdfa8cd6e.jpg
IMG_00000769_zpsaa40d717.jpg

Then I took it out of the garage and gently touched the brake pedal and the difference was night and day. The car stopped very aggressively and worked perfectly. I would advise guys to try out a new line and check valve before throwing in the towel.

Last edited:
Mike, great write up as per usual. What do you think the increased performance is do to? Better source of vacuum or the stiffer braided line or maybe combo of both?

Mike, great write up as per usual. What do you think the increased performance is do to? Better source of vacuum or the stiffer braided line or maybe combo of both?

I believe it is the increased vacuum, for all I know the plastic check valve that came with the master could have been the issue.