Valve cover breathers

ALBERTAN

Resident Window Licker
First off, yes I did search the archives here and at gnttype.org. ;) Lots of info on the driver's side. Very few references to the passenger's side which is my main concern.

Anyways, I just picked up my '87 GN yesterday and was going through the Spring Cleaning list on gnttype.org. Also ran some top end cleaner through the TB. I noticed the IC to TB pipe had noticable oil in it, as did the intercooler when I got to it. I did replace the PCV with a new AC part after the oil change, but a friend recommended/suggested taking out the line the runs from the passenger's side valve cover to the inlet bell of the turbo. Can someone please tell me if this is ok to do, what if any breather just plugs into the passenger's side valve cover, and how you blocked off the connection on the inlet bell?

Also, the driver's side stock oil filler tube came off while out for a test drive. It didn't seem to tight to begin with...I think the rubber spacer had deteriorated. I did manage to recover all the pieces except the rubber washer. I have read varying opinions about staying with this stock setup versus going to a breather on the driver's side. Any feedback here would be greatly appreciated as well.

Sorry to ask a question that's surely been answered before. I just cannot find it. Thanks in advance for the help.

this is perfectly fine to do and helps your car breathe and most importantly keeps oil out of your turbo and intercooler/pipes. oil in the intercooler brings down its efficiency. i am installing a breather on my car as soon as it comes in the mail b/c im tired of taking my inlet pipe off and having oil al in it. www.kirbanperformance.com and many other sites sell passenger and driver side breather kits. i found mine through someone who is selling them on this board. the breather just plugs into the valve cover and the kits come with a rubber stopper to block off the turbo inlet hole. these are available separately from kirban also. i am proably just going to put a rubber cork in it to stop it up. find the procedure to clean out you intercooler on www.gnttype.org and clean out your intercooler. this will make it more efficient at cooling the intake charge. HTH:) BTW, I saw your site, NICE CARS MAN:cool:

Thanks for the info, and the compliment. ;) I'll check out Kirban's site. I also saw during my search that Poston's carries something suitable.

I'm poor, so I routed the existing breather below and capped the inlet bell with a cap I found on the handle of my weedeater with a zippy tie, black of course.