Vehicle registration numbers; Gbody all models. An interesting view on what is out there

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
I have access to registration data as a product manager for LKQ. So today as I drilled down for some late model stuff I drilled down the Gbody platform 81-87 for most of the models. Interesting view on how many cars have dropped off in the past few years. The regal when I started the Gbody project was 54k. Now observe.

Monte Carlo 50k
Cutlass 40k
Elcamino 45k (hard to believe right?)
Regal 30k
Malibu 81-83, 5k
Grand Prix 7k

So when people complain about the amount of product being made for our cars, take 30,000 regals and base a product line sales channel based on 10% or less of 30k. It will put you into perspective real quick.

I guess someone needs to further get into elcamino parts!!!! lol!!

I buy parts from you guys daily. Seems lately that availability for aftermarket/reconditioned is hit or miss. I wish 2014 parts were as inexpensive and available as 2013 parts were but I play the hand I am dealt - have to keep moving forward.

Good stuff, but it kinda makes sense about the El Camino, considering it's tenure in the automobile industry.

I buy parts from you guys daily. Seems lately that availability for aftermarket/reconditioned is hit or miss. I wish 2014 parts were as inexpensive and available as 2013 parts were but I play the hand I am dealt - have to keep moving forward.

This is because of Ford GM and Chrysler patenting their designs. It has made an effect on the entire market. We cannot buy any AM product or have it created till 3 years after initial release date. So cars released in 2014 are just now able to have parts created for the market in 2017.

kirban 2 cents worth

Its all about numbers.....take the adjustable fuel pressure regulator we got made for the Turbo Regals...only reason that happened making it 100% in billet is because we also did the 5.0 Mustang and the later 4.6 Mustang ones..to date have sold over 25,000 in the Mustang world (95% wholesale to distributors) .and I go against some pretty big names in the adjustable fuel regulator business in the Mustang world. ....I got a chrome Mustang part that has sold over 10,000 pieces.... Mustang market is not without problems like anything else something sells well others are standing by ready to copy it....and in some cases even use photos of your product!

In the turbo world at least in my immediate world if a part passes the 1,000 mark in sales its going good. In my old world the GTO world...in 1966 alone they made 80,000 GTOs....Lemans and Tempest were not in that count of 80,000. So you figure for a 8 year run of popular GTOs (64-72) several hundred thousand were made. That count of Regals posted is probably counting all the Regals so the real number is less than what is posted for turbo regals...Point is both markets I are the cream of the crop for retail.

So, from a reproduction stand point hats off to everyone who has made parts specific for the turbo regals....hopefully it pays off.
The saving grace in all this is our cars specifically 1986 and 1987 continue to increase in value....if they remained a $4500 car today not much would be made for them in reproduction.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I have a hard time believing only 30,000 regals still exist. How did you come by those numbers?

I think he's talking about registered numbers. I have 5 that are currently not registered. So I'm sure there are others like me so the number is more than likely higher.