Visiting New York questions??

ghall

I will be staying in Montauk for the weekend at the end of September--flying in to Islip.My wife would really like to see some sights in the City--in particular the Statue of Liberty.
I was wondering if you guys could rec. some other interesting things to do or visit that would be near the SOL.Also rec. anything to avoid or look out for.

I know this is quite a drive into the city from Montauk---also wondering if the locals had an idea on how long of a drive this would be.Just trying to figure out if i should extend the visit another day and visit the city or just stay out there.

Any other comments for this trip would be great.I have very little knowledge of the area and would like to have a nice trip.

Thanks,

Geoff

Traffic to and from LI to NYC is rough. I'd take a train if I were you - it's a 3 hr ride but drops you off right in Grand Central. From there it's easy to get to lots of neat stuff if you're willing to do some walking: Empire State Building, NY Public Library, Radio City Music Hall, St. Pats Cathederal, Times Square, Bryant Park, etc. From Times Square you can take the 1 & 9 the whole way down to Battery Park where you catch the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. Wall St. is down there, as is Ground Zero. On the way back up you can check out Canal Street in Chinatown or Little Italy.

As long as you stick with the popular tourist sites you won't have any trouble. The subways aren't bad either if you don't get off the beaten path (too far north or off the island of Manhattan).

Jim

That's the kind of info i was hoping for---Thanks a bunch.

So does the train run all the way--from say Islip airport to the city---do i have to get a car to get from the airport to the train--does the train run non-stop(continuous???)--thanks for the help.

Geoff

ghall said:
That's the kind of info i was hoping for---Thanks a bunch.

So does the train run all the way--from say Islip airport to the city---do i have to get a car to get from the airport to the train--does the train run non-stop(continuous???)--thanks for the help.

Geoff

I know you can take the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) from Montauk to Grand Central but I don't know where you pick it up in Montauk (a co-worker of mine comes all the way in to NYC daily from somewhere out there). I think the schedule is limited, but it does go out there. Check the LIRR website, but I think you have to change trains in Jamaica, Queens. I commute to Times Square daily from northwestern NJ - the schedule way out here is similar. It's limited but the trains do come out here.

Anyhow, once in Grand Central you have a lot of options. Even Grand Central Station itself is a cool place to visit.

Good luck! NYC is like no other place in the world - you'll enjoy it.

Jim

when you go to the city definatly walk- taking taxies and driving takes alot of the fun out of it.

Geoff, Do what I did this past winter when I took Tracy to the Big City... Take her to the "Diamond District" for some new bling!! :eek: :D

We go every year around Christmas time, as I grew up approx. 1 hour away.

K.

I hate to see you misguided...The LIRR from Long Island will drop you off at the Penn Station between 7th and 8th at 33rd st. It doesn't run at all to Grand Central. You would have to take a Subway up and catch a shuttle over.

From Montauk you're about 110 miles from the Midtown tunnel. The train ride from Montauk is going to take a while and require a change over at the Ronkonkama station, there are no direct non-stop trains. This station is right next to the Islip airport. If you're renting a car at the airport you'll probably want to drive back to the trainstation and catch a train from there to the city. Plan it right and you can get a direct train from Ronkonkama to Penn. You might find it best to take 1FASTV6s advice to use the Hampton Jitney.

Penn station is right underneath Madison Square Garden if you're interested, It's pretty central to a lot of things you'll want to do, SOHO and China town south, Times Square is North. The Empire State Building is due East. You could score some points with the wife by walking over to Fifth Ave and walking up that way, that will take you past all the nice stores including Tiffany's.

There's a lot to do on LI, too, check out www.licvb.com for events and stuff. Hope you have fun.

LIRR keeps talking about going to Grand Central, but it's probably too expensive for them. LIRR comes in one floor below your trains at Penn.

Thanks for the great advice guys.I will be flying in on Friday of this week at JFK.That is a change from my original post(thought i would fly into Islip).

My last question:::How would you get from JFK to 47th street Friday at 11:00 a.m.
Don't know if a cab or some kind of train is better(any SPECIFIC directions would be great).

Also--i am trying to judge how far a city block is up there.I need to get from 47th to 42nd---is that something i can walk----cab----or subway

THANKS for any quick help.

Geoff

I don't know what your mass transit options are out of JFK - never been there. You're probably better off with a cab, I think.

Walking from 47th to 42nd is a breeze. Generally speaking, walking along avenues to get to higher/lower numbered streets is quick. Walking along streets to get to higher/lower avenues is rough - blocks are a lot longer. If you look at a map you'll see what I mean.

Jim

Dont forget central park guys :cool: , yes st's are very short and ave's are pretty long but nothing to bad you could easily walk from the west side to east side (believe me I know 9/11 proved that for me and many others) but generally speaking 47 to 42 would take you 10 min to walk depending on the time of day. You will like the city, I work right by ground zero so just so you know VERY busy a lot of tourists.

Anyways enjoy oh just so you know if you get an unlimited metro card it will save you some money depending on your traveling.

ghall said:
Thanks for the great advice guys.I will be flying in on Friday of this week at JFK.That is a change from my original post(thought i would fly into Islip).

My last question:::How would you get from JFK to 47th street Friday at 11:00 a.m.
Don't know if a cab or some kind of train is better(any SPECIFIC directions would be great).

Also--i am trying to judge how far a city block is up there.I need to get from 47th to 42nd---is that something i can walk----cab----or subway

THANKS for any quick help.

Geoff

You can jump on the Air Train I did. Just know that your carrying your own luggage. Read this it is better than my long thread:

http://gonyc.about.com/cs/airlinesairports/a/getto_jfk.htm

PM me if you need to talk with additional information.

Thanks for the link and the info guys.I think i have a plan.

Now i just need to get past this stupid hurricane-----so i can get to the airport friday and fly north right back into the path of where this stupid hurricane is supp. to be. :mad: :mad:

Geoff