Water temp gauge wiring question

DaveyX87

I had some trouble doing a search on this topic. I am wiring my VDO water temp gauge and I need to know where to tap into the main power and ground for the gauge. So far I have tapped into the switched circuit in the center console for the light in the gauge. So far, so good. Next, the directions recommend that the main power for the gauge be run from the battery. Wouldn't this mean it would be drawing power constantly even when the car is off? I would just like to know where I should run the power from. Sorry if this subject was posted before. The search function wasn't working for me.

There's a couple switched posts on the fuse box. Or if it's a gauge pod in front of the shifter get some switched power from the yellow wire for the radio. (not the one paired up with the brown wire for a rear speaker)

See the three spots on the very left that say "IGN 1?" Those are switched 12V sources, meaning they are only powered with key on. Run a fused wire (5 amp fuse will be fine) to there and you're golden.

2012-02-22_191258_2.gif

There's a couple switched posts on the fuse box. Or if it's a gauge pod in front of the shifter get some switched power from the yellow wire for the radio. (not the one paired up with the brown wire for a rear speaker)

^^^ x2 on what Earl said & also a great illustration by 87geeinn. Here is a photo I had still in my phone. The power wire is tapped in the "Ignition" post on the fuse box. That way it only works when the key is turned "on" or running. Then just find a solid ground.

I bought Auto Meter Gauges from a member here. He didn't have the senders, so bought mine from Pep Boys. However, I did have a water temp sender that wasn't an Auto Meter brand. I used that at first & my readings were of anywhere from 10-15° off (it read hotter than it was). So I bought a brand specific one & it's dead on. Also, it matches readings from my Scan Master. I'm not sure if that holds true for every brand or situation, but it worked for me. Hope that helps!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 156
Sorry for the hijack but is there a good source to tap in to for the temp readings?

D

Did it come with a sending unit?
I bought the VDO kit last year from Kirban. It came with the sending unit that threads into the spot on the manifold where the current dummy light sensor is located. I thought about putting a small brass "T" in order to have both but I'm afraid it will effect the accuracy

I bought a couple fuse blocks and put them in my glove box. Really cleaned up the mess of wires at the factory fuse block. Needed it for the gauge bulbs. I ran one positive wire from the instrument lamps fuse to one of the fuse blocks in the glove box, and also one ground wire to the other fuse block in the glove box. Probably over kill for the ground wires but I think the blocks were cheaper back when I bought them. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bwd-fuse-holder-fb71/20974308-P?searchTerm=fuse block