What is this?

Rosey1968

I just bought my first Grand National so bear with me while I am still learning... The owner of the car said the item circled below was a "Turbo Saver" but I cannot find anything with that name. He said I have to clean it out when I change the oil. Any insight on manufacture or any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0584.JPG
    IMG_0584.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Congrats on your first GN. The circled item is an oil catch can that collects oil from your PCV system and needs to be drained every so often. Not sure of the brand as there are many universal setups that are sold. Maybe one of our more eagle eye members can tell you. In any case, its not a complex item to service.

I like the fact that it is placed close to the hot turbo. The heat probably prevents the accumulated oil from turning into a milky goo in the canister by preventing condensation.

That's an AMW PCV Catch Can
I'm running a pair of these on my LC2. One for the PCV system and the other for the valve covers.
The catch can for the valve covers is routed back into the MAF pipe (downstream from the MAF), similar to the factory set up. Don't forget to run a check valve in your PVC line running back from the catch can into your dog house vacuum block so you don't pressurize the catch can when under boost conditions.

Here's a link: http://accmachtech.com/catchcans.asp

AMW Catch Cans.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you gentleman for the responses...much appreciated. I am sure I will have more questions as I go down the road.

Turbo Keith... thanks for the advice on the check value... I am on the road so I cannot take a look but I do not recall seeing one... I will double check later this week when I get back home.

Thanks again!

1KWIKSIX, Thank again for you helpful post today.

I do have a question about you 2nd system for your valve covers. The previous owner told me that sometimes under high boost my car will blow off one of the valve cover breathers creating quite a mess. Is a second catch can system a good solution to eliminate this? If so can you briefly explain how this gets hooked up on a Buick turbo motor.

I did find this supplier that seem to have a pretty nice PVC can solution:
https://www.mightymousesolutions.com/mm-can-build-a-kit

Thanks again for the help.

Rosey1968

That's not a turbo saver. The turbo saver is an oil filtration system that is in the oil feed line for the turbo. The idea is to not allow any unfiltered (by passing the oil filter) oil to get into the turbo. There are a few systems out there for this.

1KWIKSIX,

The previous owner told me that sometimes under high boost my car will blow off one of the valve cover breathers creating quite a mess.
Rosey1968
That's not good. Sounds like the engine has a lot of blow by. Do a compression check.