What's the difference in the 63 turbos?

OneLethal87GN

R.I.P. Lethal GN
I've seen a TE-63, T63, and TE63-1. What, if any, are the differences in these turbos or are they just different names given to the same turbo by different vendors? I ask this because I recently bought a TE63-1 that has the 4" inlet and 2 1/2" outlet, yet another TE63-1 for sale at the same time only had a 3" inlet and 2" outlet. Is this due to a newer design? Thanks for all the help so far.

I was told years ago that a TE-63 was a 4 bolt turbo and that a TE-63-1 was a 3 bolt turbo. At the time this made sense, hopefully someone else can clarify.

te63 ---made by precision or john craig. also called the te63e
same size compressor housing as a te44. 3 inch inlet and 2 inch outlet

t63--made by turbonetics

te63-1--made by pte or craig . much bigger compressor housing with 3 inch inlet and 2 1/2 outlet.

te45 is same as te63e

surej

Originally posted by DR BOOST
te63-1--made by pte or craig . much bigger compressor housing with 3 inch inlet and 2 1/2 outlet.

Thanks for the clarification, but did you mean 4" inlet? I was told it was 4 in and 2 1/2 out. Also, where could I get a pic of the TE63-1?

The -1 at the end means it uses a 60-1 style compressor housing which has a 4 inch inlet (basically 4inch outside diameter.....it necks down a lot for the smallish compressor wheel.)
The discharge is also 2.5 inch.

if u look at a 60-1 and a 63-1 you will see a big difference.

a 60-1 is a turbonetics turbo and uses their housing.
yes , a 60-1 does have a 4" inlet and 2.5" outlet.

a 63-1 looks very similar to a 70-1 as both use garrett housings.
ive only seen 63-1's with a 3inch inlet but im sure u can get a 4 inch on it.

ive seen 70-1's with either a 4 or 3 inch inlet.

surej

I thought there was a big shaft and a small shaft one also. I'm in the process of selling a 63-1. I only say it is one because the board member I bought it from said it was. I hope I'm not miss informing someone:rolleyes:It has a 3 in inlet, 2 in outlet, and a 82 exh. housing. It has TE-63 scribed on the housing.

Originally posted by strikeeagle
Nope, -1 stands for minus one...

Agreed. If I remember correctly the 63 big shaft originally came in a 4 bolt configuration only. Then it went to a 3 bolt hence the "minus 1" nomenclature.

i've got a pte63-1 and it has a 4 inch inlet, i wasn't offered a 3 inch option.

strikeeagle Nope, -1 stands for minus one...

instead of guessing, lets ask the people who make them.....

"But to answer your question, it's "63 dash one" is what we call it here.

Hope that helps!
805.581.0333 x 134 "

i think it was very nice of your buddy to stick up for u though:D

surej