What's up with Eastwood wheel polishing ??

87LtdT

I have a tube of med and fine compound....both hard as a rcok. Instructions say the heat of the polishing wheel will "melt" the compound and it will adhear so that I can polish my rims.

However, it don't seem to "melt"....

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

just a theory of mine
but maybe they mean for you to drive around and get the wheels hot
I noticed wheels are very hot after a drive and most likely its from the brakes I would be guessing

just a thought and I hope it helps

Carl

Thanks for the theory Carl but I don't think that's it...

The instructions make it clear that you run one of the polishing wheels against the compound to heat it up.

Probably the problem is me...look what forum this is in??

I'm gonna repost in the right place...lol

Bob

Get a utility knife and cut away some of the card board around the compound..........When they say "wheel" they are talking about a polishing wheel mounted on a electric motor.......The compound is not designed for hand polishing.........it is used in conjunction with a polishing machine.......

I use an air tool ( a die grinder) with a felt cone tip attached. The speed of the tool rotating the tip melts the product. This can be done my hand so to speak, you just need to get the tapered buffs or felt cones attached to a small air driven die grinder works really well. The speed needs to be watched so you don't buffer burn. But with a little practice this works. You will want to wear old clothes and face protection, plan on wearing the product. The felt tip works good for getting the first step on to clean the surface, make sure to start at a low setting to get the best results. The use a mandrel end for the jewlers rouge and the white rouge. Make sure to finish with the white rouge when complete this puts a nice gloss on the finish.