wheel and tire question

TURBOV6

"SECRET PARTS"
Staff member
I decided to go with the Weld's ProStars 15 X 8's. But had a few question....

I have tires on my stock GN rims that i'm planning on using on the Weld's its 235/60/15's. Will the 15 X 8's and with bs of 4.5" be stretching the tire? Or look funny?

If I go with a 275 tire and with a bs of 4.5" rub the frame or fender?

And probally get another set of 15" Weld's for a 26 X 10's or 28 X9's slicks. What backspacing should I go with?

The backspacing that's available is 3.5", 4.5" and 5.5".

I have some Centerline 15x8.5 with 3.5 BS. With the slicks on (28x10.5W ETs) and aluminum drums, I have about 1/2" clearance between the tire and the frame rail. Also have about the same on the outer lip (rolled). IMO 3.5 is the limit without frame and wheelhouse mods. Aluminum drums were a big part of that clearance success. With stock wheels, iron drums and 275/60-15s, I had some rub on the frame rails. The aluminum drums cured it for me.

And those big tires look good!

do not get 4.5" backspace!!....even your 235's will rub the frame.....4" max, 3.5" with the Welds

Once again I just have to say every car is different. I'm actually running 5.5" backspacing on my wheels with no problems (this is one 18x9.5" wheels though) and low profile tires. So there isn't much bulge. But I do have centerlines with 4.5" backspacing that my 28x10.5" slicks are mounted on and have no problems. All I can say is do like I did and take everyone's thoughts on here, then use the tire/wheels you have on it now and measure, measure, measure and re-measure. Then go for it. :) If you want, after I get the tranny re-installed and the car down, I'll let you mount my slicks and you can see how they fit. But the slicks are still on the car from when it was towed from the track now.

Derrick

Taz, are those 8" Centerlines? I just cannot believe 28X10's would fit with 4.5" BS....the absolute biggest I can go is 28X9's on 4"....another .5 " would literally jam them into the frame on both sides.....and I have alum drums, new springs, air bags.......275X60 DR's clear by maybe 1/4" on both sides with the same size rims.......hmmmmmm...maybe I have a special "wide body" Buick?

How's the fit on the 235's on a 18" rim? So should I go with a 3.5" back spacing for all 6 rims?

Originally posted by azgn
Taz, are those 8" Centerlines? I just cannot believe 28X10's would fit with 4.5" BS....the absolute biggest I can go is 28X9's on 4"....another .5 " would literally jam them into the frame on both sides.....and I have alum drums, new springs, air bags.......275X60 DR's clear by maybe 1/4" on both sides with the same size rims.......hmmmmmm...maybe I have a special "wide body" Buick?

Woody, I am running 16x8" centerlines with 3.5" BS for my 255/50/16's and 4" BS for my 28x10x16's. The 28 x 10's only have about 1/2" to 3/8" clearance on the drivers side and 3/4" or so on the passenger side. They sure look great when the wheels match at the track :)

Another question I had is I bought a set of ARP's 2.5" studs, is this stud long enough for track use?

If those are 7/16" OD studs, then they have to protrude 7/16" minimum through the face of the wheel. The relationship of those two measurements must be 1:1 regardless of what you use to comply with the NHRA rulebook.

i had weld draglites 15x8 w/4.5" backspacing and the fit was .5" inside and outside-perfect fit-no rubbing at anytime on three different g body cars.HTH

ok.....but 255's ain't 275's or even close to 28X10 slicks in section width.......for 15" tires and 8" rims, anything over 4" is asking for trouble with the "standard" size bigger tires or slicks (28X10 slicks, 275 DR's, 28X11 ET Streets)

I like the look of 7" Centerlines on the front with 215X65's and your choice of 275's or slicks on the back on an 8" rim (also Centerline.......Terminator) both 4" BS