where can I buy 200 4r governor spring(s)

jcor12

I recently developed a part throttle late shift problem 1-2 and/or 2-3. If I speed up, it will shift. I was advised to see if a spring fell off the governor (based on my habit of flooring it and immediately stepping off the gas...no rev limiter installed). I am supposed to have 2 springs, but I only have one on there. I cant find the spring (not in pan and screened the fluid). Where can I buy this spring? I'll buy the whole governor if I need to.

gov2.jpg

Let me reword that. GN only have 1 spring. Have you checked your TV cable adjustment. Also gasket under the governor cover?
Is this a OE 200 or someones reman ?

I was told by the person who rebuilt it there are 2 springs. I bought it from Bowtie Overdrives in 2018

I was told by the person who rebuilt it there are 2 springs. I bought it from Bowtie Overdrives in 2018
It only had 1 spring. If had two and 1 fell out it has no place to go, IT will be in the pan. your builder is incorrect
I think we found the problem
lots and lots of shops clam to have perfected the 200 but only two shops have really done so.
if you do the search on this site you will find most problems occur after a rebuild and install behind a V6 Buick.
Lonnie at Extreme automatics my preferred builder
and David Husek at Turbo buick performance.
if the transmission was not built by the two builders above its just a big guessing game of the problem. And if they build it there won't be any problems Spring don't fall off there governor no mater what your driving habit.
I don't have a Cristal ball but I see your going to take a few ATF baths in the future.

I'm sure there are more than these two builders that do the 200 correct Bowtie overdrive I no nothing about.
Just skeptical about a builder not used or mentioned regulator.
I hope you can sort the problem I see you posted back in Feb with shifting problems after a filter change, I can't see that being the problem unless you did not get it installed correct not a hard job. did you use a 700 filter or 200? The 700 works just have to be careful with the install.
did you check TV cable adjustment with the pan off?

Every trans we have gotten thru here that Bowtie has built shifts too early. For what they charge you think they would spend the few bucks on a Governor spring kit, or a corvette governor.
Had to tweak all 5 of them in the last year or two. It wasn't the cable adjustment, it was governor or springs. Didn't have that grief when dad owned it....
TIMINATOR

Every trans we have gotten thru here that Bowtie has built shifts too early. For what they charge you think they would spend the few bucks on a Governor spring kit, or a corvette governor.
Had to tweak all 5 of them in the last year or two. It wasn't the cable adjustment, it was governor or springs. Didn't have that grief when dad owned it....
TIMINATOR
I've had good luck with the transmission until this point. I installed it in 2018 and drove thousands of miles, no problems. My late shift started after a filter/fluid change. I checked my TV adjustment many times, even took pressure readings like I did when installed and they were good.
I am starting to agree with Hensleyt that I do have a GN governor, which only has 1 spring. I did buy another 200 4r governor OEM GM8655963 (initially thinking I needed a second spring). I really don't know what to do at this point, it does shift into 2nd, I just need to accelerate to get it to go.

Just went through this. Last month to. GN only had one spring. It's the smaller one. I found mine in the pan. Trans wouldn't shift out of first gear unless you took your foot off the gas. Then it was shift high in every gear. Found the spring in the pan. Removed governor and reused spring as it was still good. Pop riveted it to hold it in there. New filter and fluid. Car never shifted so good. Only place your going to find the correct spring is a guy on ebay. Lee's speed shop. Sells both springs for 58.00 shipped. The tci springs they use to sell had issue from what I've read.

Attachments

• Resized_20230711_170452.jpeg
    Resized_20230711_170452.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
Just went through this. Last month to. GN only had one spring. It's the smaller one. I found mine in the pan. Trans wouldn't shift out of first gear unless you took your foot off the gas. Then it was shift high in every gear. Found the spring in the pan. Removed governor and reused spring as it was still good. Pop riveted it to hold it in there. New filter and fluid. Car never shifted so good. Only place your going to find the correct spring is a guy on ebay. Lee's speed shop. Sells both springs for 58.00 shipped. The tci springs they use to sell had issue from what I've read.
Hope ya got some deeeep pockets.

Those are NOT the correct springs on ebay!!

Those are NOT the correct springs on ebay!!
Spoke with the guy on the phone. Said he rebuilds them regularly and he is the only one that has them. Really can't tell if you don't have one to compare. So who knows. The one in the picture looked like my small spring.

Attachments

• Resized_20230711_170452.jpeg
    Resized_20230711_170452.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
Spoke with the guy on the phone. Said he rebuilds them regularly and he is the only one that has them. Really can't tell if you don't have one to compare. So who knows. The one in the picture looked like my small spring.
He can say what he wants...
There's a very clear difference without measuring anything, GN has 18 working coils, "standard" governors have 14. That doesn't get into diameters etc.

He can say what he wants...
There's a very clear difference without measuring anything, GN has 18 working coils, "standard" governors have 14. That doesn't get into diameters etc.
Copy that. Glad I didn't purchase any.