Which cam?

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
I took apart the front of the engine on the GN to replace the timing chain and gear and it looks like I'm a hop-skip-and-a-jump away from yanking the cam out, too. So, I'm replacing the cam.

My question is - which cam is best for my setup? I'm not going to a roller, just a standard hydraulic.

Relative mods are:
- PT51 turbo
- 9" converter w/ 3000 RPM stall
- stock headers, heads & intake for the foreseeable future
- 3" THDP
- 50# injectors
- stock IC (may change)

TIA,
Jim

Originally posted by frankg
Use the comp cams 212-212 it will run great on your combo:D Frank

You happen to have the Comp Cams P/N? Any TR vendors sell it?

Thanks to all for the replies,
Jim

from someone that dont like comp cams i'll recomend the cam in my car it is killa idles real good but pulls lke heii on top end (see sig)

204 214 Speedpro

Red,

Is there any chance you might still have the timing card to that cam? I have the lift and duration @ .050 but would like to get the actual event #s from the timing card. IE: Intake opens at-
Intake closes at- Exh opens at- closes at- and the lobe sep angle. I would like to compare these numbers with a few other profiles.)

I am seriously considering this cam for my spare motor and know of at least one guy who's ran a 10.59 with it. And the biggie is his motor has seen lots of headgasket failures resulting in coolant in the oil, yet the lifters and lobes still look good. To me that's a plus in itself :^)

Thanks,

Thanks.
Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
from someone that dont like comp cams i'll recomend the cam in my car it is killa idles real good but pulls lke heii on top end (see sig)
:) :)

REDS i wouldnt mind getting the info on that cam also if you don't mind. Looks like it makes pretty good power. Thanks,Frank:)

I am looking at the 212-212 my self, but if there is others cams out there i would like to here some results with them.

i didn't get a damn sheet with it but i patterened it with degree wheel both int. and ext. but i'll have to dig up my notes

i'll see if i can scan the chart for yall fella's

i did find that the specks in the book for this cam was for 1.6 rockers...oops

Here you go fellows! When I was eyeballing that cam for my current motor I found it under EP-2 by Sealed Power. I think they all come from one grinder. Does CarParts.Com still have discounts? This isn't a bad deal! If they have a discount soon I will pick one up for the 4.1 I am building in the Spring. Looks the same to me just a different shipping box! ;)

http://www.carparts.com/parts/newse...&parttypeid=3029&itemid=8855&autoidsearch=YES

Unlesss they give a coupon disc. the 148$ carparts price is not that great a deal. I've known of guys buying this cam for much less from their local parts store. I "believe" that SP doesnt give a timing card in the box but thought the timing figures were possibly printed on the outside of the box?? Or possibly a good parts guy can find them in a SP catalog. (I'm talking about the actual events, not just the duration at .050 and the lift.)

What's really funny is this grind is also listed in J.C. Whitney under their "no name cams" as well as used by a few other grinders too. My buddy who has ran 10.5s with this cam tells guys he has a J.C. Whitney cam in his car and they just about call him a liar <g>

To be honest, I am not promoting this grind over others, but am interested in the timing events so I can compare it to known profiles from the "normal" suppliers to the Turbo Buick communities. If folks are interested in it I would like to do a chart comparing the "events" as well as the adv .050 duration and lift of all the major cams used in our cars. But I would need guys to get their timing cards out and send me the info from the cam that they are running. Eventually I could build a decent database if enough folks chose to do this. Once the info was compiled in a spread sheet I could probably submit it to the GNTType website as a permanent tech item, so it would be available to all.

Thanks,
Dwight Hayden

i found my notes on this cam mine is an acuall speedpro cam
and the dumb thing didnt have much of nothing on the box
the smaller speed pro that i used in my hotair motor had specks on the box.

all the specks i have are at the lifter and i did the whole cam at every 5 degrees of crank rotation.

i havent chated it out yet but i'll try and do that today sometime and post it if i can if not i'll email it to ya'll

im also charting piston location v/s crankshaft degrees so it can be charted to find pston dwell time and velocity

Just a warning about the Cam Specs posted on Car Parts for the 204/214 cam. The advertized duration is not taken at 0.006" as normal, not sure what they used.

This cam is also made by Schneider Cams see their other cams at www.schneidercams.com (sorry anout not including a link).

Deep Enough

Donald McMullin

Forgot to list the Advertised Duration for the 204/214 cam.

Advertised Duration = 280/290
Duration@ 0.050 = 204/214
Cam lift = 0.280/0.295
Lobe Separation = 114

I think the duration @0.006 should be in range of 256/264.

Has anyone done a profile readout of this or any other popular Buick cams. Would be interesting to simulate valve train dynamics using popular cams.

Deep Enough

Donald McMullin