who's rebuilt a turbo before?

TurboRoss

my stock 87 turbo is leaking pretty badly. i just pulled it tonight and the exhaust header is clean without any oil residue.

i would like to rebuild it myself. i am mechanically inclined so i dont see that it would be to hard. so i would just like to talk to someone that has done it themselves and worked after word.

thanks

dave ross

I did mine myself. It's really simple. If you buy the kit, it comes with all the stuff you will need for the average rebuild. Mine needed a new bearing housing because it was worn in the bearing area. Before taking it apart, you should mark both wheels, and the nut, so that they can be "clocked" in the same manner when you reassemble it. Otherwise, you will need to get it rebalanced. Other than that, it is very staight forward. Good luck, Jeff

Me too. Also ported and polished the exhaust housing and bell mouthed the compressor inlet. First porting I had ever done.

I've since upgrade to a TA49 and other than over 20 psi, it was not much of an improvement over the ported stocker.

Tom

I did it mine ownself. At the same time, I also converted it to a 49 using the necessary vendor-supplied parts.

Rebuilding Turbo

I also rebuilt mine with all the parts supplied from Turbo City on my 91 Eagle Talon a year ago. It wasn't hard at all, just make sure you pay special attention on which way the housing goes back on ;) All in all, it was really simple and good luck.

Ray

thanks guys for the help. i tore it apart yesterday. it was quite simple. hoping to get it back on sometime next week.

dave ross

Turbos

Mine just went as well, and I have a spare needing rebuild too. Who has the deal on rebuild kits, and who's got the stuff to convert to a TA49? I want the low down!

who's got the stuff to convert to a TA49?

Call John Craig or PTE.

You will need the compressor, compressor housing, backing plate, 360 deg thrust bearing, turbine, and turbine housing. Might as well put in new bearings while you're at it.

My turbo was worn to the point that the compressor wheel just barely started to brush against the housing. I bought the rebuild kit(comes with bearings, bolts, clips, and rings) for about $80, and a bearing housing for about $100. I dealt with Performance Techniques at phone #909-824-1020. I think they have a website. They were very nice people to deal with, and very fast service.

When I did mine a few years ago (seems like I've posted this before) I paid:

Compressor 442476-0017 $67 (locally, diesel shop)
Turbine 451314-3 $165 (locally)
Backplate 408045-39 $56 (I had my old one machined free locally)
Turbine housing Limit Eng $60
Comp Housing Limit $42
360 deg thrust bearing Limit $45
Dynamic seal rebuild kit $50 Limit
Balancing $30 locally

I probably saved $75-100, but learned a lot in the process.

I just contacted limit engineering and was quoted a price of $75 for the kit to do the DIY rebuild using the original wheels. They said to convert it to a 49 you would need to have the housings machined.

So it cost you $75 for the rebuild kit, +102 for the 49 stuff after you sent in you housings? $177 total and you rebuild it?

No, if you add up all of the costs, I get $517. But since I had my backplate machined instead of buying a new one, I saved $56. So it cost me $461.