why do you use 44 heat range plugs?

TType84

cookin with propane
I just read a post and someone was using CR44TS'

Im just wondering.. why so hot? With the smaller turbo (than mine even!) putting out alot of hot air wouldnt a little colder range plug work? Just guessing, asking.. wondering, you know.

Contrary to what most told me about putting in CR42TS plugs.. I put them in anyway just to see if they were right. So far "they" have been wrong. My plugs havent fouled out, etc etc.. I figured with my MAT being approx 300* at WOT, and the IC cars being ~95*.. i could maybe use a little less heat and maybe curb knock a little bit.. I dont really know if it worked.. in any case im putting in some NGK UR4's.. i think thats the right number. On gnttype.org there was a big discussion on how they just held up better under high boost than the AC delco plugs.. hmm!

Have any of you tried a colder plug? problems?

I run R44TS's. Why? Well because the recommend plug by GM is a 45 @ 0.060 gap. Fred C recommended 43's @ 0.035 (Right?). I also read that 43's are recommended by most people for a fairly stock SFI car. Knowing that Fred and SFI cars run much more boost than I currently do, I decided to compromise and go with the 44 at a 0.040 gap. (This is a daily driver. When I changed, my idle got a little rough. I haven't tried to do anythig about it yet.)

I will certainly look into 43's or 42's once I get my boost up. I bet you'll find that many people here are still running 45's as per the GM books.

Autolite 24 (s) , thats what I run, change them twice a year. (I don't look forward to that :) ).

What I would like to find is a plug without the extended tip. This I feel and so do other turbo users (non-buick) add to the denotion problems we have. Well that least the don't help the problem.

I have no reason why I like autolite , I just had good luck with them.

Just to confrim waht I said above, I got out the '82 owners manual. According to Buick:

3.8 and 4.1 use R45TS @ 0.080
3.8 Turbo uses R45TS @ 0.060

Hey Rich,

The N/A '81's also use R45TS @ 0.080 gap.
My favorite.....installed since Jan and still kicking butt...NGK UR4's.
11,000 miles and still look brand new :eek: