Wide band question

larrym

West Coast Newfy
I just installed an AEM wideband and gauge, I'm struggling with the tune. I got things set up as per usual specs fuel pressure was at 42lbs vacuum off. Preset settings on my translator (0 no change for wide open throttle and 9 on the base settings no change) and chip is as it came I even unplugged the ecu lead to reset it.
Idle cruising and light throttle all show around 14.5 as soon as the boost starts to come on the wide band reads around 10.0 and when I get to about 5lbs of boost I get knock readings on the scan tool. It pulls good but I don't want to hurt it.
I tried pulling 8% of the fuel off the chip no change.
Cranked back the fuel on the regulator no change.
Narrow band on the scan tool reads 890 or so when its boosting.
Block learn and Integrator all seem about right too.

:confused: :confused:

I believe the starting fp is 43lbs, vac line off.
What octane are you running?
Is the knock on the Scanmaster?

I run nothing but 94 and I just changed the plugs to AC delco and new wires too.

The knock is on my scan tool its an auto exray block learn and intergator all appear right.

This morning I set the base on my translator to 10% lean and pulled out 20% fuel on the chip.
I ended up with about 11.0 on the wideband with a hard pull through first and second. I lowered the boost to about 12lbs and still getting knock. It still spikes to 10.0 on part throttle pulls.

I'll lean out the translator and see what happens next, Eric says the translator settings are over riden on by the chip at WOT , so this might help.

I don't hear audible knock, which I have heard while over boosting(hooked up my external gate backwards )

Thats peringnition correct?

Detonation is unburnt fuel knock?

What is the timing showing while in boost? May have too much timing. If you are hearing the knock, then its way off the scale, KR under 10 degrees cannot be heard and knock in the 5-10 degree range can be very damaging depending on boost levels in the short term and any KR can be damaging to the bearing in the long term.

Also, have you checked for false knock? Fill your tank up with some 116 race fuel and get the AFR in the right range, somewhere in the neighborhood of 11.0-11.3 while under boost. If the knock is still present at the same amounts then most likely it is false and you need to determine what is causing that, like the exhaust banging on something or loose motor mount etc..

I run nothing but 94 and I just changed the plugs to AC delco and new wires too.

The knock is on my scan tool its an auto exray block learn and intergator all appear right.

This morning I set the base on my translator to 10% lean and pulled out 20% fuel on the chip.
I ended up with about 11.0 on the wideband with a hard pull through first and second. I lowered the boost to about 12lbs and still getting knock. It still spikes to 10.0 on part throttle pulls.

I'll lean out the translator and see what happens next, Eric says the translator settings are over riden on by the chip at WOT , so this might help.

I don't hear audible knock, which I have heard while over boosting(hooked up my external gate backwards )

Thats peringnition correct?

Detonation is unburnt fuel knock?

Why are you continually pulling fuel out... i wouldnt worry too much about the 1-2 gears and worry more about how much fueling is at WOT in 3rd or 4th- it might be a tad rich at 1-2 with 12#s but you might be dangerously lean in 3-4 with XX#s of boost..... IMHO put the fuel back keep the boost lower and MAKE A FULL RUN... NO KNOCK - add boost - then do it again. and again. once you get to your desired boost - THEN start to lean it out....

PS who cares what the narrow band is saying - USE The wide band info - Narrow bands SUCK A$$;) :eek:

PPS - this info is only good if your car is tuned up and you dont have any vacuum or pertinent exhaust leaks... if you have any then fix those first before you start tuning