will 18,000 GTO's sell ?

I think it comes out to $29k US. There will be no options for the first year of the GTO other than colors. All will have the same MSRP of $34k change depending on delivery charges. While it seems to performance enthusiasts like us to go for the Cobra, I don't think they sell 18k Cobras a year, so at least some of the GTO's market will have to come from another niche. I think GM is in trouble because the car is still a 2 door and its not very luxurius so you won't get that Impy SS/Maurader buyer.

On the up side, the GTO will make a good sleeper in 4 years or so, and may end up well priced as a used car. Especially fun if you take all badging off and replace with something Grand Am/Prix related, you'd probably sneak up on a lot of people that way. ;)

Who will buy it?

The old guy that used to have a "goat" back in the day .... not the total gear head. I love the CV8 which is why I like the GTO. It is true to it's heritage by puting a v8 into a normal looking midsized pontiac.

However I think the aftermarket will suffer greatly.

But then again I will problably be buying an 03 cobra next year.

Jon

Me, I'd buy "retro" before I'd buy any of this so-called "new" crap. Who care's if it's retro if it looks good? I don't think many PT-cruisers are showing up at the street races, but they still sell like hotcakes! ("played out"?;))

Put one of every car sold in America in a parking lot--make 'em all WHITE...then hover in a helicopter 300' above, and see how many cars you can figure out!

The PT cruiser and Prowler (retro) will stick out like sore thumbs! You'll PROBABLY be able to make out a Caddy or two, the Vette, Viper, Mustang and T-bird...

after that, good luck finding that GTO! (or anything else)

Originally posted by Buick From Hell
Me, I'd buy "retro" before I'd buy any of this so-called "new" crap. Who care's if it's retro if it looks good? I don't think many PT-cruisers are showing up at the street races, but they still sell like hotcakes! ("played out"?;))

Put one of every car sold in America in a parking lot--make 'em all WHITE...then hover in a helicopter 300' above, and see how many cars you can figure out!

The PT cruiser and Prowler (retro) will stick out like sore thumbs! You'll PROBABLY be able to make out a Caddy or two, the Vette, Viper, Mustang and T-bird...

after that, good luck finding that GTO! (or anything else)

I did not know you were a mind reader, you must have mine.
Why call it a GTO if it was not a little Retro? I am a old Pontiac fan but I do not want to drive an egg.

The price is very steep IMHO, same reason we now have no fbody :mad:

You guys need to cut GM a LITTLE slack, eveyone bitched hardcore when the fbody went bye bye, at least they're offering a V8 RWD car....

Do I like the car? yep! Will it be considered a legitmate performance vehicle? Depends what class it's officially put in. Is it worth the 30-35K sticker price? Chance are NOPE...

I like the car, I don't like the price. I think they will have a problem selling the 05 GTO's unless the LS6 is under the hood. IMHO, the car would be fairly priced @ $28k. They are in the works with SLP developing aftermarket parts, so you may see loaded SLP GTO's selling for over $40k errr I mean sitting on the dealer lots.

Originally posted by GNSCOTT
I like the car, I don't like the price. I think they will have a problem selling the 05 GTO's unless the LS6 is under the hood. IMHO, the car would be fairly priced @ $28k. They are in the works with SLP developing aftermarket parts, so you may see loaded SLP GTO's selling for over $40k errr I mean sitting on the dealer lots.

Agreed