will open dump kill bottom end power??

speedfreakv6

speedfreakv6
I have a 87 g.n. with alot of mods. but still streetable runs 11s .But i run open dump all the time ,yeah its loud but i like it like that .To each his own .What i want to know is do i loose low end power ??? I have asked alot of people ,i work for ford in the garage and some people say turbo cars have all the backpress in the world .and others dissagree .so i would like input from guys that own these baad ass g.n.s. any input will be nice . oh down pipe is terry houston w/dump :confused:

My father and I run open dump quite a bit around town and also did a dyno test with the dump(THDP 3") closed and open. With the dump closed it did 352RWHP and 452RWTQ and when opened the dump it did 372RWHP and 492RWTQ :rolleyes:. No new dyno numbers with the GT3255 yet, but am about to add 50lb injectors and PTE Stock Location IC then will dyno the car with dump open and closed again to see the difference. Hope this helps in some way for you.

i did a lot of playing around with a dump pipe on my car, it was far from one of the bad ass cars but the principal is exactly the same. i went 2 tenths faster through the drump (crappy flowmaster muffler otherwise stock exhaust) i believe i picked up 1 mph and 60's were also faster. on the street it was very noticeable how much faster the turbo spooled, so even if you were to lose a little low end power (i'll get to that in a second) it would be imediatly compensated for by the faster spool. it works theres no question about it. a good flowing exhaust will be almost as good but i don't think you'll find anyone saying they ran better through exhaust.

as for backpressure, the turbo really plugs up the exhaust. i've heard people have seen around 16 psi in the headers of a turbo car. i'm sure thats not a set number by any means though. with a huge turbo i guess its possible that you wouldnt' get enough back pressure. but it would have to be so big you would never get a little v6 to spool it anyways so its none of your concern. the back pressure is there, if you don't believe it tap in a valve stem to the headers and hook up a pressure gauge and see for yourself. i'd put money on it being double that of most naturally asperated car through full exhaust.

if you like the sound then thats really the most important thing since it sounds to me like its a street car. personally i think my next tr will have a single 3" pipe from the downpipe back, i like the sound too but i don't like it coming from under the car.

Until you get to the monster 80+ mm turbos and huge exhaust wheels and housings, it seems that over about 12-15 psi boost the exhaust manifold pressure is between 1.5 and 2 times the boost pressure (based on postings by a few people who have measured it). At low boost the backpressure is the same or less than the boost, and for a monster turbo even at high boost the backpressure can be down at 1 to 1.25 times the boost (or lower, but I'm trying to give estimates for "typical" tr setups). As for spoolup and hp, the less backpressure after the turbo the better.

well ill leave it open dont want to loose any power !lol i am in the process of welding a flange to a turn down .cuz if i turn it to the ground will be less noisy instead of coming out under the door .hey guys thanks for all the input much appreciated .thanks

sweet

and the turn-down will make the turbo whistle reverb of the road - all will come to attention as you drive by.

oh yeah put turn down on friday sounds great ,just alittle quiter ,but not so raspy ,love the whistle and yes it does turn heads to hear that turbo spool ,get alot of attention .lovin it