Window/roof rail weatherstrip installation

stickybones

What?
I finally broke down and bought the window/roof rail weatherstipping / rubber seals (GM OEM P/Ns 20737659 and 20737658) to replace my original cracked and chewed up ones. I haven't installed them yet. Taking a gander at the ones currently on the car and the new ones, I'm not quite sure how they're held in there. Are they glued in? It looks like there's a trim piece on B-pillar that partially holds them in place and some screws at each end of the weather strip, but I can't tell about the rest. Do the roof and windshield drip rails need to come off? Can they even come off? I don't want to start pulling the old ones off till I have a pretty good idea how to put the new ones in. They're expensive so I don't want to SNAFU them.

Any tips?

Thanks
Mike

Hey Mike........I never replaced them myself, but I'm pretty sure they are glued to track behind them that is attached by screws. I'm not sure if you have to remove the tracks. I would think not. If you put the rubber on the tracks with them off, you'd have trouble re-attaching the tracks. My guess is you have to take off the old stuff, clean the tracks, and install the new stuff with weatherstrip adhesive.

Hello Mike:

I just did all mine. Piece of cake. Pull off the old ones. If you can do it gently it might come off easier. Now on one side there was no glue and it came off nicely. On the other side there was a little bit of glue and it was more of a pain to get off. Then there were small chunks of rubber and glue left over. I used a rag, flat screwdriver and some acetone to clean (also use a respirator or mask, fumes will kick your butt). This is time consuming if you have lots of chunks.

Then I simply lined up the molding and it slipped right in. I did not use glue because everything fit nice and snug and I didn't want a big mess...

You do not have to remove drip rails, or anything, only the rubber...

Hope this helps.
-Louis

I still haven't done this yet, but I did look at it more closely the other day. SOB :mad: mine are glued in along their entire length it seems. I ordered some 3M adhesive remover so when the spirit moves me to actually do this, I'll be ready. Already have some 3M weatherstrip adhesive to put the new ones in.

Isn't anything easy? :(

Don't fret. Mine seemed to be glued in alog the upper length but the glue was so old and dried out that the removal was pretty easy. The spots that stuck got a good hard rubbing with acetone/mineral spirits and lots of patience. It'll come out just fine.

Only use the glue adhesive if needed. I did a TR and did not need the stuff. If you have to use it, use it sparingly.

Thanks!

I just read this post, and decided to check the part number on the seals I bought for my 83 Hurst/Olds about 5 years ago. You guessed it, same part number. I knew I was holding on to these for a reason! Oh, when I bought these from GM, I also got the metal retainer that these go into. One of them is part # 20737665. Cant find part number on the other(same?). If you have a ton of glue, maybe just buy new ones. HTH.

Well I installed the new window weatherstripping this weekend. PITA...mine were glued in along their entire length on both sides. To boot, they were glued along the tongue & groove part. After tearing off the old seals, I had to remove the metal tracks that are attached to the car with those small screws. Spents hours soaking them in 3M adhesive remover and scraping out all the old rubber. Reinstalled the tracks with new waterproof foam tape backing (from Lowes/Home Depot). Installed the new weatherstripping with no glue as it doesn't appear any is necessary to hold the weatherstripping in the track.

Now, with the windows up and the door closed, the seal appears very good with no noticeable gaps. (Might have to wait for the first rain or car washing to find out for sure.) But, I can't "roll" the windows up completely with the door closed. Hopefully the weatherstripping will take a set over the next few days and this won't be a problem. Once this works out and everything looks good to go for the long run, I'll probably put a dab of 3M weatherstrip adhesive at the ends of the weatherstripping were it attaches to the car with those little plastic push pins. That's about the only place that looks like it needs adhesive.

Mike

You might want to check out the book that Kirban sells. I bought it ( window alignment book) along with the anti-rattle kits for the windows. It really helped. Since you have new weatherstrip you need to adjust the windows just a bit. There are several adjustments and it is a real PITA (at least it has been for me) because it's really tough to make minute adjustments. Nevertheless, the book has been invaluable. BTW, might want to consider a "water test" as I did (in order to prevent rain from damaging my new interior if I should have a leak.). I simply got in the car and had the othert half dump water on the car specifically in those locations to ensure a tight seal...

Might also want to make sure that the door isn't sagging. Even a little bit will throw off your alignment (ask me how I know :)

Good Luck..

stickybones.... the foam tape is too thick and making your door not able to close when the window is all the way up. you need to get rid of the tape and try something else, maby double sided thin tape.

But when I torqued down the screws holding the channels in place, the foam compressed to pratically nothing. The backside of the channels also have a depression in them where the foam tape sits. I don't think thats the problem. It seems more like the new weatherstripping is just fatter than the old stuff I removed (not surprised). That's what's keeping the passenger side window from going up completely.

ooooooooooooooooo... i did not know that since i have not done my car yet. i have done other makes of cars before and they didnt have the channel that the stripping sits in. my bad......

As many before me have found out for themselves, adjusting the windows is a real PITA. :mad: Had to stop for awhile before I did something hasty like throw a brick thru the window. Maybe tomorrow I can collect myself and try again...hopefully with some success this time.