Window Tint!

d0n_3d

Boost is good.
Lately here in northwest Indiana the cops have been cracking down on the darkness of your car windows...well anyways they said the darkest they will pretty much tolerate is 25%...

my friend just got 20% done to his 84 camaro and it looks awesome...you can just barely see in the car at night and a little more during the day...

anyways i was wondering which percent should i go with because i want mine done soon...what percent do most of you guys have done on your cars? what do you think looks the best to black out the entire car's appearence? i was thinking either 25 or 20% but i have never had windows tinted before so i don't know if 25 will be dark enough for the black-out look

Let me first say that any tint on the front side windows in NJ is illegal. Any - as in you can't put ANY tint on them. I wouldn't want any of my NJ bretheren to be misled by what I'm about to say.

I did 5% on the rear window and the 1/4 glass and 20% on the front windows (not the windsheild, of course). During the day (with T-top shades in), you have to walk right up to it in order to see in it. Otherwise, you see shadows (like if someone's in it), but nothing else. At night, you can't see squat. It looks really cool - totally blacked out. When the sun shines directly in through the windsheild, you can see more through the 20% than I'd like but I think it's a happy medium. 5% would've been crazy dark on the sides. Regardless, the tint change the whole attitude of the car - looks really mean now.

I got my tint from www.autowindowtintings.com They sell kits and I installed the tint myself. It didn't come out perfect, but damn close. Cleanliness is essential. I have a couple 'o dog hairs stuck in the first one I did. The rest came out fine.

Good luck,
Jim

Our limit in NC is 32%. Inspections aren't a problem for me, but I choose to put mine right on the limit out of respect. I'd hate to be a cop that has to walk up to a car at night and can't see what anyone in the car is doing. They could be locking and loading for all he knows. With my dad and my brother being cops, things like that come up. Anyhow, here's a picture of my car. 32% all the way around and 5% on the T-tops. They told me they'd eventually warp for some reason, but they keep the sun off very well.

http://www.buickpower.com/Pics/LINEUP.JPG

I have 20 (or 25) I cant remember now... on the side windows, but no tint on the rear out of respect for the cops. And, I have never gotten any trouble for my tint at all, whereas a lot of guys around me do the rear in 25% and get stopped all the time for it. TurboChris makes a good point. But then hey, cops here will stop you just to get out of the crusier and stretch their legs. :( I might tint it later on, but only to a fairly light shade (35-40). Besides, tinting cleanly over the defrost grid is hard to do.

But then also, by the same token, ever looked at the factory tinting on caravan windows, especially the rear glass?? They allow that....

I have 20% all around on my car, and it looks awesome. When you're in flat light (overcast), and you look at the car from an angle, the windows look exactly like the paint, so everything appears black. That is the look I was going for--monochromatic. I don't drive mine every day either, which helps me stay out of trouble, because the limit in MO is 35%.

Here in Alberta, Tinting is per say legal. The way the law is written is it's illegal to have anything stuck to your front side glass(ie:any type of sticker). So i guess if i was Johny law the ricers would always get picked.. er rather spoken to:rolleyes:

I guess alot of it has to do with the police officers on duty.
In Michigan......... If I heard correctly. You can only tint 4" of the door window. (It sounds retarded I know)
Back window and back/side windows I believe there is no limit on.
I myself have tinted windows.
What degree of tint.... I don't know.
I've been at stop lights with my window up and had police pull up beside me and look over and then look away.
No problems there.
But like I said.
It has to do with the police on duty.
1 day on my way to work I picked up a co-worker and we went past a cop who was parked up by a gas station away from the street. (I didn't see him)
He pulls out and gets behind me.
I finally look up and see flashing lights.
My co-worker quickly slipped his seatbelt on since he wasn't belted in. (thank goodness for that window tint.)
I pulled over and he gets out.
Does the Drivers Liceance/registration/proof of insurance thing.
I told my coworker.. I wonder what he pulled me over for.
Could be my loud exhaust (downpipe slipped out of the end of the exhaust pipe abit), or was it for speeding.
Cop was standing right there beside my car while I had it idling.
And said. No.
I stopped you for tinted windows.
He was nice enough to give me the option of a ticket or remove the tint within 10 days.
I agreed to the tint/10 day thing.
I have yet to take it off.
And that happened this past summer.

I'm going to try a loophole in the fact that I do have light sensitive eyes.
And s'posedly, I can get a slip from the eye doctor stating that tinted windows are allowed because of my eyes being sensitive to light (or something like that)
Plus.... I have T-Tops.... It only seems right my car have window tint to match the tops. (shoulda been a factory thing)
Well.
I'm done eating up bandwidth.
That's my view on tint.

In NJ, you can go as dark as you want on the rear windows - just can't put anything on the sides.

I haven't been nabbed yet. When I do, I figure I'll just put both side windows down so they can see what I'm up to in the side mirrors. They can't see in the back window at all, though - which is legal.

Jim

I had window tint on my car but hated it. Wasn't bad during the day but at night I felt like I was driving with sunglasses on. I removed it, figured one last thing for the cops to bug me for. Now they can just focus on my single shot exhaust and Hoosier Quick Time Pros. Besides after a few close encounters of me not seeing a cars, bicycle riders etc coming from the side at night was enough persuasion for me to take the tint off.

window tint

Anyone have problems getting through NHRA tech with tinted windows. Rules say no tinted windows allowed

I have 5% on all windows except the front. On the front, 20%covers the entire windshield. Granted, I seldom drive the car, I have yet to be stopped here in Georgia. P.S., I also have a dark tint exemption permit if I ever do get stopped.

BTW...It looks awesome:cool:

When pulled over at night, with OR without tint - turn on the interior lights... helps a ton.

I have been pulled over lotsa times for tint but its always the EXCUSE to pull me over. Kinda like they "your car fit the description" excuse I get sometimes. heh.

%? I dont recall, but its between 15-25% on the doors and darker in the rear. Here is my tint vs a non tint car: http://mcbain.tzo.com/gwtra/temp/tintdif.jpg

Shawn

Tint Definately makes these cars look a helluva lot meaner..
Now I don't have my license yet (I get it in May) but my father is gonna pay for my windows to get tinted as a b-day present. Now I have no Idea what the percentages mean..can someone explain them?
I see 5%, 15%, 20%, 35% being thrown around yet I don't know which one is darkest, etc...
I live in NJ and I believe like others have said that the law states you can't have any tint on the front windows, so I plan on doing the back and the rear 1/4's what percentage do you reccomend that will make the car look really good w/the exception of passenger/driver side windows not being tinted??
I see cars around here ALL THE TIME with front tint..so cops must not care enough..it would be easy if you could have SOME front tint in NJ then you could just have the tint shop write your receipt for the limit..but make it alittle darker for the hell of it...
Thanks for any suggestions..:D
Gotta go Mow the lawn now!! :mad:

5 % all around except for windshield. i feel naked in a car w/o tinted windows. my dad has double 5% on his yukon, talk about dark. i like that fact that people cant see in my car or see me while i'm driving down the road. i live in okla and 15-20% is legal, but cops are running around with 5% on their cars so why cant i?

-josh
86 gn

In NJ, go as dark as you can in the back. It's a bit of an improvement, but the side windows need tinted for the full effect.

I see cars tinted way darker than mine all the time, too. Cops must not care too much about it.

Pics of mine this morning:
http://www.turbojimmy.com/gntint.html

Jim

I have 5% all around (except for the front) and I love it. It's not legal in NY, but in a year I've only gotten three tickets, so that ain't too bad. To be honest, it just takes getting used to. I am a good driver so I didn't have much trouble adjusting at all. The only thing I don't like is it's not dark enough. I wanted 2.5% but the guy didn't have it. My next thing is I wanna tint the t-tops. I'd also tint the front if I could get away with it. Is tinting the front legal in any state? Is Florida the only state that lets ya tint the sides very dark?

I have 5% on the GTA(rear and side)and in the 5 years with it I've only gotten two tickets(both I didn't mind scince the reason I was pulled over was for speeding once and being in a street race spot and getting pulled over two weeks in a row,he gave me a ticket the second time as incentive to not come back)

On my C280 I went 20% because it is a silver car with black leather so the 20% looks about as dark as the 5% on my GTA that has tan interior.

Steve

Been stopped once since I've had the car and the cop made no mention of the tint, which was at 35%. I had to remove it on the 2 side windows for my latest inspection (and yes, i do miss it).

I have 35 on the rear glass and 20 on the sides this isn't bad at all on these cars because the windows are so big that it lets in a lot of light

Here in florida, its like 25% on side windows and anything behind that. Most people have double limo tint. I'd say that 95% of all cars that are tinted down here are illegal. The cops dont bother you much, because the sun is so damaging to cars down here.

That being said, I have always just went with the legal limit, because I don't want to get pulled over for something like that after having a couple of beers.