window trim

1986TR

"EVIL RGL"
any one can tell me how to remove windshield trim? what tools to use thanks gil

The tool slides under the trim...catch the edge of the retaining clip and twist downward or pull easily towards the center of the glass...this releases the clip. It may take a couple of tries per clip, but you will get the hang of it. It's best to work from the center of the trim to the edges,then down the sides.

KDT2038.jpg

GC

Here is my guide to window trim removal, for your G-body windshield, rear glass, or wagon 1/4 glass.

For starters, get yourself a window trim removal tool, it should have a flat hook like this:

31736620109_large.jpg

There are better ones with hooks on both sides, which are handy for certain spots.

It is a good idea to put some masking tape on the backside of the trim tool to keep it from marking up your glass. I wasn't too worried about the ole Malibu, so I didn't bother...

Gently slide the tool behind the trim, underneath the plastic liner if it is still there.

31736620105_large.jpg

Starting at the bottom, move the trim tool along until you feel the clip. Get the hook beind the clip, and gently pry the clip away from the trim. You'll feel the trim release from the clips.

Here's what is happening behind the trim:
31736620107_large.jpg

Work slowly and make sure you release all the clips before you pull on the trim, otherwise you will easily damage it. It is made of anodized aluminum, and is rather fragile.

Start at the bottom of each side, doing the sides first, then the piece across the top of the windshield.

Don't get mad if some of the clips break, it's old brittle plastic, and likely to happen.

This info and pics were posted by BLAKE442 on: View topic - How To Remove Window Trim (with pics) • GBodyForum.com - '78-'88 GM G Body Community

:biggrin:

I did that for all the Rookies like myself. LOL :biggrin:

Man...you couldn't have explained all that better. Excellent picture explaination. You're one hell of a nice guy to go through all that trouble for him.

And thanks to you, I can easily see how to do this also. I have the trim tool like Gculver shows. Hope this one works like the tool you showed.

Thanks for showing us this. A big help.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Man...you couldn't have explained all that better. Excellent picture explaination. You're one hell of a nice guy to go through all that trouble for him.

And thanks to you, I can easily see how to do this also. I have the trim tool like Gculver shows. Hope this one works like the tool you showed.

Thanks for showing us this. A big help.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Not a problem Bruce,

I just know I have tons of question and help with stuff and this is a great place to get it. I always look at it we all were rookies at one time or another. I can only speak for myself and say I wont ever leave "Rookie Status".

:smile:

Not a problem Bruce,

I just know I have tons of question and help with stuff and this is a great place to get it. I always look at it we all were rookies at one time or another. I can only speak for myself and say I wont ever leave "Rookie Status".

:smile:

In that case, I'm in your league. And proud to be!:D It's great to have fellas like you who go through the trouble to help when dweebs like me need it. Just invaluable, and once again, thank you kindly.

Bruce

what a pain in the nuts....i broke 2 clips...LOL
Now where do i obtain replacements and how do i install the replacements

Might even be able to source a handful at your local windshield replacement shop... had a few windows replaced recently and had the guys put all new clips since the old ones were brittle.

I broke some clips went to the junk yard and there was an 82 4 door regal that I removed the trim and the clips were metal! I snagged them and installed them to replace my broken ones. Worked nice, they were much better.
I used a 90° point pick to release mine from the tabs.