Winter travel question....

DRKSYD

Looks like I am headed to WA very soon in order to repo my own car ( long story...ex g/f agreed to make payments.....not doing it....ruining credit yada yada yada) Its not a Buick but might very well be traded for one once I get it back here. I had a 87 GN for a few years though. :D

What kind of conditions can I expect on the return trip say along about the last of Oct first of Nov. Right now I am looking at the most direct route which would be down I5 to I84 and then I 80. Once I get to Colorado I kinda know what to expect for the most part just curious about the WA,OR,and Utah part. ANY info is appreciated. Are there passes that require m/s tires this early in the year? Car did have 17" cheapo Sumitomo's on it when it left here so not sure how they might do if it gets slippery lol. Wishing she would just pay as she agreed to but she has been over 30 days late so many times now I have finally had enough.

Oh and how close does I5 pass by Mt St Helens? Looks to be a good distance away from it.......30-45 miles maybe?

Thanks
Brad

You're getting into the "iffy" time of year. You'll be OK down I-5 then over I-84 to Pendleton, Oregon. 20 miles past that is the start of a long climb. 5 or 6 miles straight up. (Almost). The top of this climb is called "Deadmans Pass" if that tells you anything. It's part of the old Oregon Trail. Beautiful in the summer, not so nice in the winter. Once over these mountains (Blues??) you'll travel through a lot of ups and downs and curves. Lots of curves. Then you'll come out by Ontario, Oregon. Now it'll be flat across Idaho and decent freeway. Into Utah the freeway is still good and from what I remember the freeway is fairly flat.

Turning left just before Salt Lake City, you'll start climbing. Maybe someone from that area can chime in here but I've driven it in the summer and it's uphill big time leaving Western Utah toward central Utah. Across eastern Utah and into Wyoming it's flatish with a few ups and downs until you hit around Rawlins and you start climbing again.

Long way through these mountains....called the Rockies....lol. It can be ugly weatherwise. Once you come out on the other side at Cheyenne it's fine. And since you know Colorado you'll know what to expect around Denver.

If it were me, AND AT THAT TIME OF YEAR, I'd not risk it .... I'd go straight down I-5 to L.A. and cross through on I-10. Then again, it may be gorgeous weather and you'd have a beautiful trip on the northern route.