Wiring in dimmer switch for TR6 - 2step

WHTTRSH

Sleeper
Bob can't seem to answer my question 100% wo a tech sheet on my dimmer switch...haha. He told me the ORANGE wire is the TRIGGER. The GRAY wire is for remotely setting the RPM range.

That being said I have a dimmer switch w 3 terminals; Lights,+12V,GND.

I'm assuming the ORANGE/TRIGGER would go to the +12V terminal on the switch. The GRAY/RPM setting would go to the LIGHTS terminal on the switch.

I'm also assuming I would need to supply the switch w 12V(red wire) and a ground(black wire) to chassis.

DIMMER SWITCH TERMINALS

Lights - GRAY
+12V - ORANGE and red wire from ign
Gnd - black wire to chassis

Does this look and sound about right?
I reached out to SloGN too cause apparently he's done it already just didn't go in depth on how he hooked it all up.

Attachments

• IMG_2241.JPG
    IMG_2241.JPG
    855.6 KB · Views: 225
The switch is for controlling dash lights. It also acts like a ON/OFF switch when turned all the way counterclockwise, it clicks OFF. Once you turn it back clockwise it clicks ON and turns the lights on. Then as you keep turning it clockwise the lights go from dim to bright.

wrong
no 12v is used for the 2step rev limiter adjustment
connect the grey from TR6 to the center leg
connect ground to the outer leg on left so turning it clockwise increases resistance and increases the RPM of the limiter

you can use an ohm meter to verify the resistance , the potentiometer resistance needs to mimic the values of the resistance in the MSD rpm pills which is just resistor sealed in plastic, you need a 0-5K ohm range , if your dimmer doesn't do that go get a 0-5K potentiometer
to use the variable rpm pot you need to set all the 2step dip switches inside the TR6 to -OFF-

heres an thread on the cheap adjustable msd pill eliminator
http://www.theturboforums.com/threads/320739-diy-3-69-adjustable-msd-2-step-chip

the orange from TR6 is for the switch to 12v to activate the 2 step limiter using a switch like a transbrake or for foot brake guys .. a switch mounted on left side of the brake pedal

Last edited:
Only tech sheet I can provide is this, showing exactly how the switch works.

Attachments

• IMG_2242.JPG
    IMG_2242.JPG
    773.6 KB · Views: 195
wrong
no 12v is used
connect the grey from TR6 to the center leg
connect ground to the outer leg on left so turning it clockwise increases resistance and increases the RPM of the limiter

you can use an ohm meter to verify the resistance , the potentiometer resistance needs to mimic the values of the resistance in the MSD rpm pills which is just resistor sealed in plastic, you need a 0-5K ohm range , if your dimmer doesn't do that go get a 0-5K potentiometer

heres an thread on the cheap adjustable msd pill eliminator
http://www.theturboforums.com/threads/320739-diy-3-69-adjustable-msd-2-step-chip
Thanks! I'll ohm it out now and see what it does.

Where does the ORANGE/trigger go then?

Lights/left terminal - Chassis ground
+12V/ middle terminal - TR6 gray wire
Gnd/ right terminal - ? Not used ?

Nevermind I'm a dumbass! Two different style switches are needed.
ORANGE/trigger needs to be setup to a brake style switch so that the 2step shuts off immediately after you take off. Grey wire is then wired into the potentiometer to adjust RPM setting.

I have my orange wire hooked up to my button when it is pressed it gets 12v then my grey wire is at the bottom and the other side of the dial is ground . U should only need 2 wires hooked up to the dial a ground and the gray wire from the 2 step

So the pink is going to ground and the gray to the tr6 grey

Attachments

• IMG_5239.JPG
    IMG_5239.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 241
  • IMG_5240.JPG
    IMG_5240.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 174
I have my orange wire hooked up to my button when it is pressed it gets 12v then my grey wire is at the bottom and the other side of the dial is ground . U should only need 2 wires hooked up to the dial a ground and the gray wire from the 2 step
So two completely different circuits?ORANGE goes to the Button. GREY goes to the dimmer.

Button
1 - ORANGE
2 - ign 12V

Dial/dimmer
1 - GREY
2 - chassis ground

So two completely different circuits?ORANGE goes to the Button. GREY goes to the dimmer.

Button
1 - ORANGE
2 - ign 12V

Dial/dimmer
1 - GREY
2 - chassis ground

Correct but I don't go to the chassis for my grounds . I go to the block .

Here is a picture of how I have my dip switches in the box

Attachments

• IMG_5241.JPG
    IMG_5241.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 177
  • IMG_5243.JPG
    IMG_5243.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 206
Could I wire in the ORANGE wire from the TR6 into my brake switch. Then mount a dial/potentiometer on the dash. Connect chassis ground to the dial along w the GREY wire from the TR6.

i would run ground for the adjustable pot to the tr6 ground ...either the wire with the blk wire with loop that goes to coil or the stud on the bottom of the box

i would run ground for the adjustable pot to the tr6 ground ...either the wire with the blk wire with loop that goes to coil or the stud on the bottom of the box
Good point, alright I'll do that then...haha I'm making a pic. Like it if correct

the brake light switch output will work but i dont like it because it can be slow to release the 2step because it has to fully return the pedal to release the 2step so its more likely to cause you to leave the line and still be on the limiter and the car will hesitate

better option is drill the brake pedal on left side for a momentary switch similar to a biondo transbrake switch (turbotweak had these) that you really only hit when your foot braking with your left foot and it releases as soon as you lift your foot

the brake light switch output will work but i dont like it because it can be slow to release the 2step because it has to fully return the pedal to release the 2step so its more likely to cause you to leave the line and still be on the limiter and the car will hesitate

better option is drill the brake pedal on left side for a momentary switch similar to a biondo transbrake switch (turbotweak had these) that you really only hit when your foot braking with your left foot and it releases as soon as you lift your foot
Ok good idea! I'll drill and mount a button onto the left side of the brake pedal then. Mounting it where I can depress it at the same time as the brake pedal.