Would alky be worth putting on a 6.60 1/8 mile car??

smokinttype

My friend and I have 6.60 cars that are just run mostly in 1/8 mile and occassionally go to 1/4 mile track. Was wondering if it would be work stickin alky to it. I was thinkin of maybe hitting it starting at 20-25psi and running it to 30psi. What ya'll EXPERIENCED alky users think?? Reason I ask is b/c most people I see using it are much slower than ours. Just wondering:confused:

Depends what your goals are. Is the car street driven? Do you want to be able to use 93 octane gas and make power? What are your intake air temps?

See you ask a loaded question :)

If you run a liquid IC, and have 30 degree MAT temps, an efficient turbo, and never drive on 93 octane.. hope you see the point to this.

It will allow tons more boost on lower octane gas. And help with the combustion process. But a track car that only sees C16 , has low MAT temps, and is never street driven then results may not be that great.

Yes there will be an improvement.. but depends on what your trying to accomplish.

FWIW, I sold a kit to a GN that runs 6.40's .. 10.3's at 132 waiting for the track to re-open.

Your answer again.. depends ;)

HTH

TE45A, really nice stock location intercooler, 72's, 3500stall 9/11 l/u girdled motor etc etc etc is street driven ALOT. I have no idea what the intake temps are on the incoming air. Also what kinda timing should I run with it?? Im thinking of just buring a chip with 18-20*'s of timing and 100% if I decide to go with alky. Any other things I should know.

218/218, factory irons with bowl work and intake runners cleaned up port-matched to the intake....nothing like champion does...also has 1.77/150 valves, stock rockers ~nothing exotic~

Matt, timing will depend on some factors. By the looks of your turbo and setup, your weak point is the IC. Alcohol would help the discharge temps coming out of the IC. On a modded car, I would start at 18 degrees and move from there. you may find it likes timing and be able to run 23-25 degrees.. Other motors are 16 degrees.. But you will see a day to nite difference on pump gas beyond any reasonable doubt.

If you get a sensor like the one on the KN filter and install it in the plenum, you can see the temps inside your motor. Its all bout information. The more info you have, the better you learn the motor and what it like.

Guess thats why the call it tuning. :)

I already run 20#'s on pump gas, pulls really hard at that. If I do decide to do this im going to run racing alky b/c the alky you get from hardware stores is too hard on the exhaust blades of the turbo; making them dull on the ends over time.:( ......at what boost would you turn the alky on at? :confused:

I run the racing alky as well. Its cheap at 2.50 a gallon and I run it straight.

Once the alky burns, I cant see it damaging anything. It really burns clean. Actually you cannot see a methanol fire, all you see is the heat.. thats how clean it burns.

On my car it switches on at 3 PSI becuase of the progressive controller.

If you do a hobbs switch style system, then your looking at 12-14 PSI turnon typically.

If your car can run 20 PSI on 93, it will do easy 26+ PSI on alky same chip and timing. Assumming you pump in some volume.

HTH

Julio